Sir Geoffrey Boycott

I did not see any comments about being white or not being white , what he said was that the BBC have replaced QUALITY WITH EQUALITY unfortunately this is not only true in cricket but every other sport. The best people for the job should get the job whether they are black or white male or female that does not appear to be the position at the BBC or SKY at the moment

plenty of shit white people get employed. i much prefer isa guha and ebony rainford brent to simon huges, rob key and graeme swann for starters.
If that was the case he should have been dropped years ago.

easy for the institution to complain it isn't jobs for boys anymore isn't it?

Last edited:
easy for the institution to complain it isn't jobs for boys anymore isn't it?
If by "boys" you are referring to those who have played the game at the highest level that's surely a better qualification for a cricket analyst fhan solely having black or female as a qualification. Boycott won't have woke in his vocabulary let alone practise it.

Last edited:
If by "boys" you are referring to those who have played the game at the highest level that's surely a better qualification for a cricket analyst fhan solely having black or female as a qualification. Boycott won't have woke in his vocabulary let alone practise it.

making the assumption that all the black and female cricket commentators know nothing about cricket then sure, you're correct. however, michael holding and the aforementioned isa guha & rainford-brent have more 'cricketing credibility' than plenty of the likes of daniel norcross or simon mann.

i don't see these droves of untalented people wandering in just because they're of a minority ahead of more qualified white middle class men, just sounds like closet racism/sexism tbh

edit: from him, not you

Last edited:
In Simon Hughes' excellent autobiography, I think " A Lot Of Hard Yakka", he said that
everyone had a Boycott story.

I remember one story he told.

Boycott had had words with someone and he asked "Why does everyone take an instant dislike to me?"
Back came the response:-
" Because it saves time Geoff!"

making the assumption that all the black and female cricket commentators know nothing about cricket then sure, you're correct. however, michael holding and the aforementioned isa guha & rainford-brent have more 'cricketing credibility' than plenty of the likes of daniel norcross or simon mann.

i don't see these droves of untalented people wandering in just because they're of a minority ahead of more qualified white middle class men, just sounds like closet racism/sexism tbh

Not so sure that the aforementioned females have more 'cricketing credibility' than Mann or Norcross- all 4 have played cricket at roughly the same standard. Purely as commentators all 4 are perfectly acceptable so long as they confine their role to exactly that.

Not so sure that the aforementioned females have more 'cricketing credibility' than Mann or Norcross- all 4 have played cricket at roughly the same standard. Purely as commentators all 4 are perfectly acceptable so long as they confine their role to exactly that.

so playing the odd bit of cricket on a village green and representing your country in international cricket are roughly even, when it comes to being qualified to commentate on international cricket?

so playing the odd bit of cricket on a village green and representing your country in international cricket are roughly even, when it comes to being qualified to commentate on international cricket?
Sorry, I assumed the post easiest enough to understand. Good club league cricket and women's International cricket are equitable. And don't knock village cricket- there are some seriously good cricketers who choose to play at village green level.

Sorry, I assumed the post easiest enough to understand. Good club league cricket and women's International cricket are equitable. And don't knock village cricket- there are some seriously good cricketers who choose to play at village green level.

perfectly easy to understand, being a man who plays village cricket is of equal value as being a woman who has played international cricket. nice one

You can now buy all his stuff at christies: History-making bats, iconic caps and a debut scorebook: Sir Geoffrey Boycott to sell cricket memorabilia

I quite fancy the bat he scored his 99th and 100th centuries with.

I still have the autograph he signed standing outside the Oval in the middle of a huge throng in 1977, after the opening day against the Aussies had been abandoned with no play and all the other players had disappeared. Beautifully signed, and not scribbled like some others did.
And his only trip to Dickie Bird’s house
Be some IHT Bill will Dickie’s. Tight bastard
They repeated Dickie's Desert Island Discs the other week, and the story was him visiting Geoffrey's house for dinner and getting a cheese sandwich or something.
well done, you got it in two. Clearly you don't agree. No problem.
Who could possibly agree with such an idiotic statement?

Last edited:

No female cricketer is as good as any male professional cricketer. That's just a fact. Their experience in international cricket just doesn't translate to men's international cricket. It's probably even less relevant than someone who plays club cricket at a reasonable level.

Isa Guha is a ponderous commentator but at least comes across as semi-competent. Ebony R-B was a rubbish player in her own right and is an awful commentator, the pinnacle of equality of quality.

No female cricketer is as good as any male professional cricketer. That's just a fact. Their experience in international cricket just doesn't translate to men's international cricket. It's probably even less relevant than someone who plays club cricket at a reasonable level.

Isa Guha is a ponderous commentator but at least comes across as semi-competent. Ebony R-B was a rubbish player in her own right and is an awful commentator, the pinnacle of equality of quality.

the experience of representing your country at a sport has no value in commentating on people representing their coutry at a sport. ok mate.

Back