Sir Ben Stokes the GAROAT?

I think it's close. I can't comment on Kalis as he seemed to pass me by.

A far better batsman than Botham. Not as good or as successful a bowler than Botham and Stokes knee problem may well mean he's bowls little from now on.

But without equal as a batsman I think. Can do things others can't.

Then you need to add his captaincy into the equation.

Thought he had a secret first name but went by the name Ben for a minute. Like a lad I went to school with. First name John but preferred his middle name of Matthew
And no as far as I knew the family weren't massively religious :lol:

Last edited:
Thought he had a secret first name but went by the name Ben for a minute. Like a lad I went to school with. First name John but preferred his middle name of Matthew
And no as far as I knew the family weren't massively religious :lol:
That's unusual. It's more typical to go by your middlename if you have a stupid firstname like Rupert.

Aye, I can’t argue with that like - I think in terms of big game performances and accolades won Stokes has an advantage though.

Worth remembering that we will all be far more knowledgeable and impacted by stokes' big games by virtue of living and breathing them, as opposed to players from other nations in other times.

Kallis was a machine and there's plenty of others that came before.... Ian Stokes would do well to be involved in the top 10 imo which would be incredibly impressive.

If you're just talking about with england I'd agree although even so thats with a huge slice of recency bias

Aye, I can’t argue with that like - I think in terms of big game performances and accolades won Stokes has an advantage though.
2 world cups MOTM both finals, t20 runner up, that ashes knock in 2019, the 6 record in test cricket, the countless stunning/match winning innings throughout.
Highest ODI score for England.

His captaincy already (imagine if he wins in Oz and gets a win in India), 2 more years and he may have the most wins as test captain.

Then theres the small matter of near 200 test wickets, plus his fielding to factor in.

A great all rounder (Captaincy does count too, sorry Sangakarra not sure WK is enough to qualify outright from WK despite your 57 test batting average)

Kallis is the better batsman and I think they are very similar in bowling I.e rarely taking 5 fors etc...but bowling crucial match changing spells.

But stokes has won more games for England than Kallis imo.

Just for England in order, I'd have
Bat - stokes, Botham, Freddie
Bowl - Botham, Freddie, Stokes
Captaincy - Stokes, Freddie, Botham
Fielding - Stokes, Freddie/Botham
Worth remembering that we will all be far more knowledgeable and impacted by stokes' big games by virtue of living and breathing them, as opposed to players from other nations in other times.

Kallis was a machine and there's plenty of others that came before.... Ian Stokes would do well to be involved in the top 10 imo which would be incredibly impressive.

If you're just talking about with england I'd agree although even so thats with a huge slice of recency bias
I mean, Ashwin and Jadeja have far better stats with the ball and both are very good with the bat - you just gotta factor in the pitches and conditions they played in

Last edited:

Back