- we are crying out for a wrist spinner
- neither Bess nor Leach look convincing
- he can bat, 10 first class tons

cons
- averages 40 with the ball in 19 tests
- doesn’t seem that arsed about red ball cricket in general
- ongoing shoulder injury problems?

views?

Always been a fan of his but he's not achieved a lot when he has played test cricket and I don't think he's really that bothered. With that in mind I don't think I'd bother going back to him unless he played some regular championship cricket for Yorkshire and performed steadily.

He's had plenty of chances in test cricket. I'd definitely taken him to India and Sri Lanka. Don't really know Leach has done wrong so far

I’d take him to India personally. The ball he got kohli out in a game was straight out of Shane warne best ever.

i know how May god for a few but the last time we went there, Monty and Swann were major factors in england winning.

id take, leach, bess and rash.
How may god

he may go for a few. Christ knows hiw I let that gibberish go through

Last edited:
Whether he deserves a chance after what he has done it terms of just pissing about and basically just playing when he wants I don’t know.

However what I am convinced by,is that not only is he better than the other spinning options in the country, he is streets ahead of them.

Leach and Bess, no where near good enough, only picked on the back of massive spinning wickets at Somerset over them few seasons when the wickets at Taunton turned square.

At the moment Somerset don’t want Bess, and they have just played a must win Bob Wilis trophy game where they needed to bowl the opposition out to win in the fourth innings, bowled 76 overs to win that game and Leach in the side bowled zero overs, after bowling just 8 overs out of 62 overs in the first innings with no wickets.

That’s not exactly a glowing recommendation for them two, they seem canny lads but million miles away from quality international spinners.

Personally I would have Rashid in test side in a heartbeat.
One of the jobs in tests (esp if Stokes is out and we’re a bowler down) is to bowl a long spell at 2 an over first innings.

Rachid can’t do that and has rarely ripped through sides in the second to compensate for it.

I get that point but he is easily better than the other options imo.

One of the jobs in tests (esp if Stokes is out and we’re a bowler down) is to bowl a long spell at 2 an over first innings.

Rachid can’t do that and has rarely ripped through sides in the second to compensate for it.
I know what you are saying but he’s our best spinner and should definitely be picked when we are in the sub continent.

Rashid's the only spinner who genuinely spins the ball.

Leach is slow left arm.

Rashid is a different proposition when batsmen need to score at 3 rather than 8 an over though, no big yahoos at his googly.

JL’s bowling is underrrated imo - I recall him doing very well on the last tour to Sri Lanka.

Yea it's all about the shoulder - perfectly reasonable to pick him if his shoulder can handle it.
This. Not sure the selectors have every really trusted him - as Warney says, a Wrist spinner might go for 6 an over but you have to trust him and still set attacking fields.

Back