Shortest Sunderland careers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dougie McGuire played once back in 87/88 when were in old Div 3. Midfield did nowt. Disappeared back over the border.

Alan Hay signed by Denis Smith from York did his knee in the first half of his first game and it ended his career iirc.

There will be shorter than this one but I was fortunate enough to witness, during my first ever away match at old Trafford in 1991, Paul Williams, a Young right back given an absolute torturing by a young lad called Lee Sharpe, recently signed by Torquay United I believe.

Williams was hooked at half time with the lads 0-3 down (2 sharpe assists for mark hughes iirc) and although I think he did play again we didn’t see much more of him.

To be fair Lee Sharpe was on fire that afternoon and we are not talking Will Grigg on fire either

There was a left back, whose name I’ve forgotten off hand but was from pennywell, who was assaulted by a double footed tackle and never played again.

Was at Roker park, clockstand side, near the Fulwell end. Iirc the ref didn’t even book the opposition player

I was at that game chocca in the away end and lost 2-0 think Monty Mcphail missed a rare penalty iirc also

No, that was the season before. 1988/89 we played there in February, lost 2-0 . McPhail missed a pen, they also missed a pen and scored won. We had 9000 in the South Stand, massive crush, just 2 months before Hillsborough.

In 1989/90 we played them in October, but just 8 months after selling 9000 tickets we were only given 1300 and put in the corner. Lost 2-0 again in the game where Ricardo came on for Marco. Hence the song "There's only 2 Gabbiadinis".

Was at both games, can't believe it's 30 years ago...
Not for the first team. Possibly in a friendly. I think we had ex Newcastle keeper Mike Hooper on the books at a similar time

Chris Woods was goalie in the last ever game at Roker Park (the friendly v Liverpool not the league game v Everton).

Last edited:
No, that was the season before. 1988/89 we played there in February, lost 2-0 . McPhail missed a pen, they also missed a pen and scored won. We had 9000 in the South Stand, massive crush, just 2 months before Hillsborough.

In 1989/90 we played them in October, but just 8 months after selling 9000 tickets we were only given 1300 and put in the corner. Lost 2-0 again in the game where Ricardo came on for Marco. Hence the song "There's only 2 Gabbiadinis".

Chris Woods was goalie in the last ever game at Roker Park (the friendly v Liverpool not the league game v Everton).
Spot on marra yes your memory is far greater than mine!

In thought that was the case. Can you remember who played in goal for Liverpool that night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back