Shooting a mate's wedding on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

not spavin

Any tips? Any great wedding photo ideas that you've seen?

Don't do it

But if you insist

- Have two cameras, both ready to go, and shoot with both

- Use flash on all outdoor shots (sorry if this is egg sucking)

- Take a megaphone :)

No offence like like, but what he said.

I wouldn't go near a wedding, whatever they wanted to pay me.

They're paying me bot all.

Doing it as a favour as they needed to save some cash. They don't have pro expectations. Not looking forward to it tho but.

ps. try to get the bloody basics right before you try any fancy macro shots of bouquets etc ;)

That's a big favour tbh

I usually take an SLR to mate's weddings anyway, and usually get some decent shots. However, it's some leap between that and being the principle photographer. Still, if it all goes tits up it's nothing a spot of Google Image searching and Photoshop can't fix.

I usually take an SLR to mate's weddings anyway, and usually get some decent shots. However, it's some leap between that and being the principle photographer. Still, if it all goes tits up it's nothing a spot of Google Image searching and Photoshop can't fix.

Would strongly recommend you have two cameras ready to go though.

Would strongly recommend you have two cameras ready to go though.

Yeah, the plan is to swap lenses on the principle camera between a fast portrait (135mm), macro (60mm) and zoom (70-210mm), then have a slower 18-200 on the back up. I'll have a flash bolted to the principle camera throughout. Only have a pop-up flash on the back up unfortunately. I'm also planning on having a couple of film camera on standby too, though I doubt i'll actually use them.

It's a big wedding (250 people or so), so my biggest headache I think will be crowd control. Hoping to get the formal shots done off site, then just do stuff in reportage style thereafter.

Yeah, the plan is to swap lenses on the principle camera between a fast portrait (135mm), macro (60mm) and zoom (70-210mm), then have a slower 18-200 on the back up. I'll have a flash bolted to the principle camera throughout. Only have a pop-up flash on the back up unfortunately. I'm also planning on having a couple of film camera on standby too, though I doubt i'll actually use them.

It's a big wedding (250 people or so), so my biggest headache I think will be crowd control. Hoping to get the formal shots done off site, then just do stuff in reportage style thereafter.

Good plan.

So they can afford 250 guests, but not to pay you?

Tight arsed koonts :lol:

I haven't done a wedding for a long time and try to avoid them but....

1) Make a list of the formal shots you want to take.

Start with the bride and groom then add the best man and bridesmaid, then any other bridesmaids then introduce family members starting with the parents.

Also one of the bride and father etc.

I would make a list because in the heat of the moment you will be concentrating on controlling the combos and may miss someone out.

2) Obviously use a tripod and shutter release for these shots which will give you more time to maintain banter with the subjects.

3) Take a couple of shots of each combo in case someone blinks.

4) Rather than concentrating on getting the perfect exposure between white dresses and dark suits, bracket exposures.

5) Be authorative and take control as there will be a scramble from everyone with a camera but your shots are for the happy couple so no argument really.

6) If it's in a church see the vicar beforehand to find what is permissable during the actual ceremony. Some are very strict while others are very helpful and may even interact with you during the ceremony to allow time for important shots.

7) Start at the brides house and take casual pictures of the build up followed by a few of the bride and her family before they set off. A back lawn is handy for this.

8) However, make sure you get to the church before the bride to catch her arriving and getting out of the car etc. Then get before her into the church and if allowed try and get one of her comming down the aisle.

It's a bit of leg work but I once hitched a life in the front of the brides car to make sure I was at the church when I arrived.

If anything goes wrong avoid photographing it. Nerves will be high. One bride trod in some dog shit on her drive as she went to the car and I took some shots but it wasn't really appreciated even if years later they probably laugh at it.

Good luck but I've never had any complaints. It's nerveracking with digital but in the days of 35 mm it was something else in case it all went wong.

EDIT

It's a bit of leg work but I once hitched a life in the front of the brides car to make sure I was at the church when I arrived.

Should read:

It's a bit of leg work but I once hitched a lift in the front of the brides car to make sure I was at the church when shearrived.

Last edited:
I haven't done a wedding for a long time and try to avoid them but....

1) Make a list of the formal shots you want to take.

Start with the bride and groom then add the best man and bridesmaid, then any other bridesmaids then introduce family members starting with the parents.

Also one of the bride and father etc.

I would make a list because in the heat of the moment you will be concentrating on controlling the combos and may miss someone out.

2) Obviously use a tripod and shutter release for these shots which will give you more time to maintain banter with the subjects.

3) Take a couple of shots of each combo in case someone blinks.

4) Rather than concentrating on getting the perfect exposure between white dresses and dark suits, bracket exposures.

5) Be authorative and take control as there will be a scramble from everyone with a camera but your shots are for the happy couple so no argument really.

6) If it's in a church see the vicar beforehand to find what is permissable during the actual ceremony. Some are very strict while others are very helpful and may even interact with you during the ceremony to allow time for important shots.

7) Start at the brides house and take casual pictures of the build up followed by a few of the bride and her family before they set off. A back lawn is handy for this.

8) However, make sure you get to the church before the bride to catch her arriving and getting out of the car etc. Then get before her into the church and if allowed try and get one of her comming down the aisle.

If anything goes wrong avoid photographing it. Nerves will be high. One bride trod in some dog shit on her drive as she went to the car and I took some shots but it wasn't really appreciated even if years later they probably laugh at it.

Good luck but I've never had any complaints. It's nerveracking with digital but in the days of 35 mm it was something else in case it all went wong.

EDIT

Should read:

It's a bit of leg work but I once hitched a lift in the front of the brides car to make sure I was at the church when shearrived.

Thanks for that. The wedding itself is an informal enough registry office affair, so hopefully that'll make things easy logistically. Light should certainly be favourable anyway. Getting there before the bride won't be a problem - planning on getting a few shots of the groom beforehand anyway. Hoping to get the shot of his face just as the bride is walking down the aisle - got that at a mate's wedding once.

Fill-in flash to avoid facial shadows I think but difficult with group shots because of the distance involved.

Aye and only useful when the the sun is at its brightest. I've done about 6 weddings now and have only needed to use fill flash on one occasion.

It'll have little effect on group shots from a distance, but it's never a bad idea to have it on all the time.

It's certainly not gonna spoil any outdoor images in daylight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back