Shithole Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firstly, how on earth did race get brought up into this? If he'd made the same comments about Moldova would it be seen as racist? I'd bet anything that the people screaming "racist" about this are far more obsessed with race than President Trump is.

Secondly, is he wrong? Haiti, El Salvador and many places in Africa are (on the whole)...shitholes. Sorry if that offend anybody but it's true isn't it?

Thirdly, does the United States need more Haitian immigrants? I'd suggest not. Placing facts over feelings (a novel concept these days, I know)...has the President actually said anything wrong here?

Finally, this just another example of hypernormalisation IMO - we live in a fake world with fake language, fake statements by our leaders, fake things we're supposed to pretend to care about, fake apologies etc. People have become conditioned to believe that this fakeness is normal and required to make society function properly but it's all fake. That's why when President Trump (a man with no experience in politics and no interest in sounding like what a politician is "supposed" to sound like) says something "real" like this, it's like a glitch in the Matrix..."But...but...Presidents aren't supposed to say stuff like this!" Says who? You'd rather some empty suit like Obama reads off a teleprompter and tells us all how wonderful, vibrant and enriched Haiti is? We all know that's bullshit/fake. The person saying it know it's bullshit and he knows that we know it's bullshit...yet that seems to satisfy everybody. That's exactly what hypernormalisation is and it's not good. Give me honesty and direct language every time, especially from our leaders. Note; the term "shithole" - two syllables, harsh, vulgar, doesn't dress anything up, real. The term "developing country" - 6 syllables, softer, politically correct, more or less a synonym for "shithole", fake.

There's a lot of people out there who genuinely can't handle "realness" these days and go mental when stuff like this get said. There are some who don't really care but feel like they have to pretend to care because they're on a certain "team" and they're supposed to react in a certain way - virtue signalling, faux outrage etc. There are some who secretly like and agree with "shithole" comments and stuff like that but pretend not to so as not to face the wrath of the people in the previous two groups (who tend to dominate the media and social media, two vital tools in shaping public opinion and suppressing thought) - some real 1984 shit. And there are others like me who f***ing love realness and seek it out wherever I can (this isn't just a right-wing thing, I respect the likes of Corbyn (who I disagree with on many issues) for at least sticking to his guns). Give me the truth, warts and all, that's all I ask for - especially from our "leaders". Interestingly, the recent victories for Brexit and Trump would suggest that there are slightly more people in the latter two groups (nobody is watching you in a polling booth) and yet, as stated, the former two groups get more play in the media and social media - this rebellion against the media is why President Trump lashes out against CNN etc every chance he gets, he knows there's a silent majority that will side with him and his "realness" over the "fakeness" of the media. Interesting subject IMO.
Did you know El Salvador has a lower infant mortality rate than the USA?

I know quite a few people who have been to Haiti, Nigeria, Gabon, Angola and South Africa guess which one isn't always described as a shithole (normally preceded by the words 'complete' and 'utter')? I would hasten to guess that most of the people themselves in those countries would describe them in quite pejorative terms too, as they unquestionably are shitholes.
Agreed
I've been to two of the above and there's only one of them I would return to.
I've been to plenty of other "shithole" countries too.

I'm not sure any head of state should be pointing out the fact that they are shitholes mind you.

Leave was backed by faceless billionaires who stood to gain a fortune from leaving the eu. It was fronted by 3 public schoolboys called Nigel, Boris and Michael. Trump is backed by faceless billionaires and his team is almost exclusively ex goldman sachs.

People have been sold a lie if they think they are sticking it to the establishment.
Imagine still thinking Brexit is still going to happen man....

I’ve got to say here, that Donald trump has simply called a spade a spade.

How many on here would sell up their house and gan live in Somalia?

That's the thing. It's not difficult to imagine he'd say it given his record
Oh I know, and it pains me to defend him believe me, but given we have a library of shite he has actually said, it seems daft to undermine our dislike of him by using 'fake news'.

Oh I know, and it pains me to defend him believe me, but given we have a library of shite he has actually said, it seems daft to undermine our dislike of him by using 'fake news'.

Fair point. He's said worse things than that and somehow is still in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back