Shit 'professional photographers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

Striker
Any anecdotes?

I arranged a family shoot with a local professional photographer for my mam's 65th birthday and it was a complete disaster:

1. For someone with her own bairns and has done a lot of child portrature, she had very little rapport with kids. She kept trying to pose our 22 month old and only had one prop which our tot helped herself to and the photographer tried to get back off her. She posed the kids back to back even though the eldest is nearly six and there is a foot in height difference - it might look endearing with twins but it just looked ridiculous with our two. All the shots of our eldest she is pulling really OTT, 'say cheese' smiles.

2. She didn't adjust the lighting between shots of me (6'2") and our youngest (2'6").

3. Again, she posed me standing side by side with my wife* who is over a foot shorter, even after I suggested sitting down.

4. She only took one or two shots per 'pose' and checked it on the review screen before moving on: no shooting bursts or trying to get those natural candid shots between poses. I could understand keeping the images down if she was using medium format film, but she was shooting in digital ffs.

5. To cap it off she lost three quarters of the images and wanted to bring us in for another sitting. Apparently the card 'corrupted' and the backup copy on her PC was 'lost due to a power cut'. :roll: Both myself and the brother in law work in IT so we offered to recover the files, but she refused.

[*Nee pics, literally.]

School photographers seem to be cut from the same cloth - do they sit the kid down, ruffle their hair into a mess and ask them to say cheese? :lol::roll:

Considering the quality of the amateur work out there (eg on here, Flickr), it's amazing people like this can make a living out of photography! Fuck me, it isn't rocket science - or is it?

To be fair, I've seen some really shit stuff from self proclaimed "professionals".

I seen an interesting debate on a forum the other day where a guy doing a wedding as a "photographer" was asking for advice. He mentioned he was using a Nikon D7000 and D90 and another poster questioned how professional he really was, asking if he'd done any courses or paid tax etc etc.

The argument ended with quite a fair comment that there were a lot of people posing (excuse the pun) as photographers that had entry/mid level gear and often yielded poor results. Meaning that these cheap (non tax paying) options were taking business from real time served toggers.

There's an acquaintance of mine who has a photography business in Aycliffe and calls herself a professional photographer.

My dog could do better, and she's been dead 6 months.

To be fair, I've seen some really shit stuff from self proclaimed "professionals".

I seen an interesting debate on a forum the other day where a guy doing a wedding as a "photographer" was asking for advice. He mentioned he was using a Nikon D7000 and D90 and another poster questioned how professional he really was, asking if he'd done any courses or paid tax etc etc.

The argument ended with quite a fair comment that there were a lot of people posing (excuse the pun) as photographers that had entry/mid level gear and often yielded poor results. Meaning that these cheap (non tax paying) options were taking business from real time served toggers.

Nailed on. A lot of shitehawks seem to be self styled 'wedding photographers' operating out of a back room. That said, the lass in our anecdote has been around a few years, just moved up to her own own shop, got a website with some good shots on it, yet the whole experience reeked of amateurism. You wouldn't be allowed to practice as a teacher, plumber etc without professional qualifications, but any Tom, Dick and Harry can become a photographer.

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for good portrait photographers in the NE?

Nope sorry, not aware of any.

I've been a fan of this page on Facebook for a while, a photographer here in Abu Dhabi that seems to have an excellent rapport with the people she shoots... lots of repeat business, takes the kiddies a little present even though it's not expected of her etc

Does some really good portrait work... might offer to be her bitch for a few shoots, would really like to learn a little about shooting people which is way out of my comfort zone.

http://www.facebook.com/KirstyLarmourPhotography

I'm not sure you can quite judge it on equipment. A mate of mine does wedding photography (about 2-3 weddings each summer) and a bit of portraiture using a 60D and a 50D for the second shooter (me!) and he gets some fantastic results. It's definitely what you would call pro-quality wedding photography. Mind, he does have the business registered and it's all above board.

I saw a friend of a friend's wedding photographs recently and the photographer had literally HDRed the fuck out of everything. EVERYTHING! There were one or two nice poses but I would have been in tears if they were my wedding photographs.

Our wedding photos are awful! The wife wont have any on display. :lol:

She was really nervous and the guy did nothing to help try to relax her and you can see it in her face. He was also quite short so every photo seems to be looking up our noses. There's absolutely nothing natural about the pictures either - it's sad really.

I think that there are about 6 from all of his shots that we actually liked. I wont mention his name as I know people who have used him and liked his work but life's all about opinions. We wouldn't use him again.

I'm not sure you can quite judge it on equipment. A mate of mine does wedding photography (about 2-3 weddings each summer) and a bit of portraiture using a 60D and a 50D for the second shooter (me!) and he gets some fantastic results. It's definitely what you would call pro-quality wedding photography. Mind, he does have the business registered and it's all above board.

I saw a friend of a friend's wedding photographs recently and the photographer had literally HDRed the fuck out of everything. EVERYTHING! There were one or two nice poses but I would have been in tears if they were my wedding photographs.

Why in christ's name would anyone HDR a wedding photo? :roll:

Had a quick Google and there are some real monstrosities out there:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Smoker's post has got to warrant some kind of a ban! I feel sick!

I'm not sure what the etiquette is for verbally abusin people on flickr, but what these people are doing is disgusting, cruel, and wrong. Whenever I look at the comments of a HDR picture they're always very, very positive. I'm dying to just dive in and tell them that their pictures are f***ing horrible.

to the OP, was the photographers initials AE by anychance?

No mate, ST. Sounds like there's a few bad female toggers in the county.

I will do the right thing and go to a bloke in future. chomp?

I'm not sure what the etiquette is for verbally abusin people on flickr, but what these people are doing is disgusting, cruel, and wrong. Whenever I look at the comments of a HDR picture they're always very, very positive. I'm dying to just dive in and tell them that their pictures are f***ing horrible.

Worth setting up a new account just to flame these crimes against photography.

No mate, ST. Sounds like there's a few bad female toggers in the county.

I will do the right thing and go to a bloke in future. chomp?
I'm sure there are bad male photographers too! You should surely choose by quality of work rather than gender of photographer!

I hope you didn't pay for your photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back