Sheffield utd v Man city kick off 1930 BT Sport 3

“People will talk about him coming off his line” .... that’s because he DID come off his line before the penalty was taken.

I don’t begrudge Sheff Utd anything this season, they deserve all credit BUT some of the shite that Jenas comes out with is a joke.
Miles off his line yet VAR don't look at this, only encroachment as they say that on pitch officials should be looking at the keeper and the taker :lol: Yet there's 2 Sheff Utd players in the box who run in the direction the ball heads after being saved? :confused: The Man City player encroaching does not matter in this incident before anyone starts bleating on about it ;)

Logon or register to see this image

This is BT stopping it and it's just a fraction after the ball being kicked but you see the 2 Sheff Utd players encroaching. They then run to shield the ball as Henderson then comes out to claim it before Sterling gets it.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
@MackemX it’s the inconsistency that annoys me.
In fact, I was wrong as according to the Premier League website VAR is supposed to get involved with the keeper coming of the line! This was more than clear and obvious so yep, total inconsitency when they pull up a goal for being offside by a toenail/armpit hair yet Henderson was clearly off his line!

The VAR can intervene in one of the following instances:

- A clear and obvious error by the on-field match officials relating to goalkeeper movement
- A double touch by the penalty-taker
- Feigning at the point of the kick by the taker
- Encroachment by players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick

In fact, I was wrong as according to the Premier League website VAR is supposed to get involved with the keeper coming of the line! This was more than clear and obvious so yep, total inconsitency when they pull up a goal for being offside by a toenail/armpit hair yet Henderson was clearly off his line!

The VAR can intervene in one of the following instances:

- A clear and obvious error by the on-field match officials relating to goalkeeper movement
- A double touch by the penalty-taker
- Feigning at the point of the kick by the taker
- Encroachment by players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick

I don't know why that's on their website but I remember this being decided after loads of pens got ruled out in the Women's World Cup.

I don't know why that's on their website but I remember this being decided after loads of pens got ruled out in the Women's World Cup.
Aye I though it was strange as that's why I initially what I said about it being down to onfield officials. I was wrong and it's correct on the PL website as I'd forgotten I'd posted this link below in August which is a later BBC article also from August 2019. So it's not an inch or 2 given Henderson was at least a yard off his line so why VAR didn't get involved is certainly inconsistent!

However, the Premier League will not be enforcing this in the same way for the coming season, instead only relying on VAR if the on-field officials fail to spot:
  • a significant movement by the keeper off their line
  • an encroachment by other players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick
  • if the penalty taker makes a double-touch or feigns at the point of striking the ball

Back