Sheffield Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
NSW are playing Western Australia in the final. It's day 5 of 5 tomorrow and it's looking like a draw.

Am I right in saying that NSW will win the Shield because they'll secure a 'winning draw' ?? Having scored 400+ on first innings and skittled WA for 180 - apparently that'll be enough to win them it should the game end in a draw........

What a f***ing shit system that is! They're 59-3 in second innings and according to one report I read WA can only win if they skittle NSW in the morning and proceed to chase down the eventual total somewhere upwards of 350.

Backward Aussies :rolleyes:

How would you settle it?

Surprised Smith is playing, I thought he'd have been in their t20 squad, seems to be pretty good when I've seen him in the IPL (obviously they've got a strong top order anyway)

The strongest domestic league in the world and it's been declared shit and backwards. We should introduce winning draws here. Might stop boring 500 plays 500 cricket.

How would you settle it?

Surprised Smith is playing, I thought he'd have been in their t20 squad, seems to be pretty good when I've seen him in the IPL (obviously they've got a strong top order anyway)

A league format or just play until it's won...... 5/6/7 days. Why not?

Aleem, you have to admit its a bit shit when you don't necessarily have to get 20 wickets. For me there's more skill in taking 20 wickets over 4 days than scoring 500 first up for example.

How would you settle it?

Forced declarations?

The strongest domestic league in the world and it's been declared shit and backwards. We should introduce winning draws here. Might stop boring 500 plays 500 cricket.
Logon or register to see this image

Forced declarations?

Logon or register to see this image
Name a country whose domestic league is stronger.[DOUBLEPOST=1395738580][/DOUBLEPOST]
A league format or just play until it's won...... 5/6/7 days. Why not?

Aleem, you have to admit its a bit shit when you don't necessarily have to get 20 wickets. For me there's more skill in taking 20 wickets over 4 days than scoring 500 first up for example.
But it's not about getting 20 wickets, it's about being good enough to gain a substantial first innings lead...

I could be completely wrong here but vaguely remember it being that in the event of the draw, whoever topped the table won it. As I say could have been a dream or something.

Name a country whose domestic league is stronger.[DOUBLEPOST=1395738580][/DOUBLEPOST]
But it's not about getting 20 wickets, it's about being good enough to gain a substantial first innings lead...
Ours, even with the strange t20 obsession. Sorry but 10 games is not a good yardstick to see who the better team is, if the matches down there were 5-days then maybe i would agree.

Ours, even with the strange t20 obsession. Sorry but 10 games is not a good yardstick to see who the better team is, if the matches down there were 5-days then maybe i would agree.
That's why most of the "second tier" teams in Australia would absolutely dominate the best English counties, let alone the State sides! Many overseas players have often stated there's too much cricket played in this country. More isn't always better and Australia proves this.

and yet durham won the county championship last year ;)
Which is, in turn, my point. If you're good enough to get a lead of 100 or so over a 3 day period and then fail to take say 3 wickets, why should you be punished? Be it through stubborn defensive batting or bad weather; I don't see why a team should be punished.

Take the Notts game for example, we -I think - enforced Notts to follow on and then won the game with a smash and grab. Under our system, if we had fallen short we'd have only gotten a draw, but under the Aussie system, a winning draw. I know what sound better.*

*i am going from memory so might be talking bollocks.

Which is, in turn, my point. If you're good enough to get a lead of 100 or so over a 3 day period and then fail to take say 3 wickets, why should you be punished? Be it through stubborn defensive batting or bad weather; I don't see why a team should be punished.

Take the Notts game for example, we -I think - enforced Notts to follow on and then won the game with a smash and grab. Under our system, if we had fallen short we'd have only gotten a draw, but under the Aussie system, a winning draw. I know what sound better.*

i don't know the aussie system, was being flippant more than anything, but say team a scores 300 the other 200 you'd think that's a winning draw, but then say team b skittle them for 100 and end up 185-3 and it's a draw who ends up winning? the team facing the big deficit would be the one clearly marching on to victory...

The winning/losing draw thing could be seen to demotivate a team to go all out to save a game. Say a team is never going to win the game from a given situation, if a draw is well rewarded point-wise they have the incentive to fight tooth and nail to save it, and surely that is providing better cricket for everyone.

A losing draw would undoubtedly see fewer points awarded so you would find teams can be less inclined to drop in and really guts it out.

I think we are missing the point a little in that the objective in First Class cricket is to bowl the opposition out twice and score more runs than them. I have this same argument with local clubs who slate the Premier League format saying they would rather a game be win/lose, yet they have no response when I point out that 65% of their games are over as a contest by tea time!

The winning/losing draw thing could be seen to demotivate a team to go all out to save a game. Say a team is never going to win the game from a given situation, if a draw is well rewarded point-wise they have the incentive to fight tooth and nail to save it, and surely that is providing better cricket for everyone.

A losing draw would undoubtedly see fewer points awarded so you would find teams can be less inclined to drop in and really guts it out.

I think we are missing the point a little in that the objective in First Class cricket is to bowl the opposition out twice and score more runs than them. I have this same argument with local clubs who slate the Premier League format saying they would rather a game be win/lose, yet they have no response when I point out that 65% of their games are over as a contest by tea time!

aye it's like the anti cricket mob's typical slur - 5 days of cricket and it ends a draw....some of the best games of cricket end in a draw, i don't see how it removes teh excitement.

It's an odd system like. Having looked into the rules there's no bonus points like there are here.

Just 6 for a win and then a descending scale based around winning draws, etc.

It's flawed for me when one side can win the toss on a featherbed and rack up 600 with little attempt being made at winning the game. Over here teams are rewarded for trying to actually win a game of cricket and I prefer that.

There were strong arguments before when a draw was rewarded more than it is now in county cricket, because for me it was an incentive for teams to prepare flat decks and cash in on batting points. It's better now because pitches are usually more balanced for batting and bowling. For me this creates better cricketers. Surely it's more of a challenge for batsmen to have to graft for their runs??

The standard of their cricket is much higher than county cricket, i reckon any of the 6 state sides would win the county championship year in year out. All comes down to the strength of their weekend club cricket, Sydney grade cricket is fantastic I was over there in 2002 and watched a few matches and thought some of these grade teams would give Durham a tough match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back