Shaun Tait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has retired from ODI cricket to concentrate on Twenty20 cricket. Strange decision as there seems to be no indication he wants to play tests again. Says he wants to avoid a career threatning injury by playing too much cricket.

Last edited:

Probably realised he's not actually good enough to play ODI's.

All well and good skittling out the likes of Kenya with raw pace; against top class players however he just isn't consistent enough. No point in getting the likes of Tendulkar out but finishing with figures of 1-70 off 8 overs.

Probably realised he's not actually good enough to play ODI's.

All well and good skittling out the likes of Kenya with raw pace; against top class players however he just isn't consistent enough. No point in getting the likes of Tendulkar out but finishing with figures of 1-70 off 8 overs.

I agree with what you are saying but a career average of 23 in ODI's suggests he's wasting his potential a bit here.

Has retired from ODI cricket to concentrate on Twenty20 cricket. Strange decision as there seems to be no indication he wants to play tests again. Says he wants to avoid a career threatning injury by playing too much cricket.

He's not going to have much of a career if he's only going to play T20s.

I agree with what you are saying but a career average of 23 in ODI's suggests he's wasting his potential a bit here.
Possibly, but you'd have to question how much his average has been boosted by skittling the likes of WIndies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the rest of the minnows.

It would be interesting to see what his average and economy rate is against India, Sri Lanka and South Africa. I bet it doesn't make for good reading.

Possibly, but you'd have to question how much his average has been boosted by skittling the likes of WIndies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the rest of the minnows.

It would be interesting to see what his average and economy rate is against India, Sri Lanka and South Africa. I bet it doesn't make for good reading.

Fair point, I'd be interested to see aswell, maybe EB can pull up some stats for us.

Dexter said:

You can look at players averages again certain countries and whether its home or an away game on cricinfo. I'd do it but I can't be arsed on my phone

ok, so bored at work ...

if you look at his bowling against South Africa, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, the best 4 batting line-ups apart form Australia IMO, he averages 36 with the ball at an economy of 5.6 RPO. Most of his bowling was against England and New Zealand, where he picked up quite a few wickets.

ok, so bored at work ...

if you look at his bowling against South Africa, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, the best 4 batting line-ups apart form Australia IMO, he averages 36 with the ball at an economy of 5.6 RPO. Most of his bowling was against England and New Zealand, where he picked up quite a few wickets.
So much for essex boy's cry of "proper cricket" when Tait was bowling against India.

has a horrible action that leads to major injury problems. Probably taken the right decision and has now become the first official 20/20 player.

anotehr genuine quick bites the dust to play 20/20 like Shane Bond did and Dirk Nannes

shame, just devaules test cricket and ODI further
Despite the fact he never looked like doing much in either of those formats. :confused:

He's just not good enough I'm afraid.

essex boy said:
anotehr genuine quick bites the dust to play 20/20 like Shane Bond did and Dirk Nannes

He couldn't bowl anymore than 2 overs at once without his body falling to bits, he could never play test cricket anyway

He'd have retired from all forms of the game long ago before T20 came along. In fact I think he did and then came out of retirement for the shorter version of the game when we felt his body could deal with very short bursts of bowling.

You can't blame T20 cricket for him retiring from other forms of the game now ... if anything you should thank it for allowing us to watch one of the few genuine quicks for an extra couple of years than otherwise.

To be fair Bond always had injury problems and retired when he was 34. Nannes has never been in contention for a test call-up to my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back