Seven things teachers don't want to hear from parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A school trust has issued a letter to parents urging them to treat teachers with respect after incidents which have seen some mams and dads banned from school grounds.
And in it, staff have outlined the seven things they don't want to hear from parents whose youngsters might have fallen foul of school rules during lesson time.

The points have been put to parents by The Arete Learning Trust which runs secondary schools in Stokesley, Northallerton and Richmond in a letter from chief executive officer Catherine Brooker.
They are:

• "I'm not going to allow my child to do a detention"
  • "I don't want my child punished until I know what is happening to the other one"
  • "She's usually really good, can't you let her off"
  • "I support the school and want good behaviour but..."
  • "You have been too soft on the other child"
  • "My child doesn't lie and told me he didn't"
  • "You can't punish my child when I tell him to ignore what you say."
I've been a Head of Year for many years. I have heard all of these said to me about their precious child.

Anyone admit to saying stuff like this?

:rolleyes:
Mods -SMB this ! Ive had a mare....

By the same token, teachers do need to be questioned. I was vilified by a maths teacher in year 7 for something someone else did, despite my protestations. I couldn't go to my parents about it as I suspected they'd not believe me for some reason.

End result was me not wanting to go to maths lessons and generally not engaging with the subject as much as I should. All because some uppity f***ing failure got it into their head that I'd done something I hadn't.

So tbh, if I had a kid I absolutely would question the teacher before making any assumptions. I have reservations about their judgement.

I did the first with my kids. I had no issue with detention as a punishment when they were being little shits. What i had an issue with was they were simply kept behind after school to sit and chat in a classroom for an hour.
Advised the head that is they were not going to be given something worthwhile, like additional work in a subject they needed to improve on for example, they were not doing it. Advised they would need to come up with a different punishment, one that actually offered some value. Even suggested additional homework as that has obvious academic benefits.
Sadly the head at Lord Lawson Comp did not have the nous to offer anything else.

So you just want a bit of free private tuition then?

If I got a detention I'd get a whack off my mam as well. She didn't go down the school whining at teachers.

Last edited:
So you just want a bit of free private tuition then?

If I got a detention I'd get a whack off my mam as well. She didn't go down the school whining at teachers.

No i did not want private tuition. I wanted a punishment that was constructive.

The punishment my kids got when they returned home was far worse. Staying in an helping Mam with the housework was far more painful, and effective, than anything the school dished out. Fortunately they were, in general, pretty well behaved. Some kids appeared to have a season ticket in detention however. If schools are going to use detention as a punishment it has to be better to at least try and make the time beneficial?

No i did not want private tuition. I wanted a punishment that was constructive.

The punishment my kids got when they returned home was far worse. Staying in an helping Mam with the housework was far more painful, and effective, than anything the school dished out. Fortunately they were, in general, pretty well behaved. Some kids appeared to have a season ticket in detention however. If schools are going to use detention as a punishment it has to be better to at least try and make the time beneficial?
That was me in the third year seniors. Almost always dished out by the same science teacher. And this is one quote that I remember him saying to another kid in our class who had just come back after a few days off and still had a bit of a cough “If you cough one more time thun I’ll put you in detenthun”. He had a lisp you see. But what hurt at the time was not the actual detentions but that my mam and dad just accepted it.

That was me in the third year seniors. Almost always dished out by the same science teacher. And this is one quote that I remember him saying to another kid in our class who had just come back after a few days off and still had a bit of a cough “If you cough one more time thun I’ll put you in detenthun”. He had a lisp you see. But what hurt at the time was not the actual detentions but that my mam and dad just accepted it.

I think some parents almost look upon it as after school care.
My kids have left and are at Uni now however still hear the tales of how big issues like bullying are ignored. "We do not have a bullying issue". At the same time kids are sent home or out of class as they have the incorrect shirt on or have worn trainers rather than acceptable footwear.
Whilst i do understand the uniform code and rules being rules. Some kids wear what they have and what they have may not be the correct uniform. If it is all they have what are they supposed to do?

I did the first with my kids. I had no issue with detention as a punishment when they were being little shits. What i had an issue with was they were simply kept behind after school to sit and chat in a classroom for an hour.
Advised the head that is they were not going to be given something worthwhile, like additional work in a subject they needed to improve on for example, they were not doing it. Advised they would need to come up with a different punishment, one that actually offered some value. Even suggested additional homework as that has obvious academic benefits.
Sadly the head at Lord Lawson Comp did not have the nous to offer anything else.
Maybe you should become a teacher
Once sat alongside a teacher who was lecturing a parent on unacceptable attendance

Had a look and the teachers was worse than the kids !
What??
Most teachers couldn’t hack a job in the real world. Same goes for civil servants.
If it is that easy why don't you become a teacher
Seven things that parents don't want to hear from teachers:
  1. Our holidays may appear to be long, but we have loads of prep to do.
  2. It may appear that we finish early each afternoon, but we have loads of marking to do.
  3. Our wage increase isn't as big as hoped, so we are going on strike. Tough shit. Make your own arrangements for your kids those days.
  4. For your child to take part in this class activity, you will have to pay £X, otherwise your child will sit on his own in a room facing a wall.
  5. We are sending your child home because you didn't buy their shirt from the shop down the road who does the expensive shirts with the school crest on, and from whom the academy trust is receiving a sizeable kickback.
  6. The school will be closed because we are having a "training day".
  7. Your child will not be entered for the exam because he/she/they are as thick as mince, and their failure will reflect badly on the regime school.
Again if teaching is that easy become one but if number 7 is a reflection on your own child/children then I would try and start at home 1st

Last edited:
Maybe you should become a teacher

What??

If it is that easy why don't you become a teacher

Again if teaching is that easy become one but if number 7 is a reflection on your own child/children then I would try and start at home 1st

The head at the school my kids attended is not a teacher. He is an administrator, and a pretty poor one at that.

That said they did, like all professions, have some piss poor teachers as well.

Like all jobs teachers come good and bad. As a parent I had my battles with some who felt disposed to judge my child while doing as little as possible, others who cared I sided with and took the kid to task when needed.
One of mine had some right battles with secondary teachers who couldn't manage the fact he had been taught to think for himself and object when someone fully took the piss (primary was a dream they encouraged his brightness) . More fool the adult for getting drawn into personality battles.

He's now a headmaster and the main battles seem to be with parents who think their kids should have what they "want" over what's the rule. Mainly in terms of dress etc. No end of battles with parents whose little girl wants to have the Beyonce touch or lads that want the footballer hair cut or that time has no relevance to them.
As far as I'm concerned parents can't abrogate their responsibility to fight the battle and tell little Chantelle, no shes not going to school in make up, and then again want to be the good guy by backing her up when the school puts its foot down and it comes as a shock to her.

I’ve done 1 recently. I’m fully for detention if necessary and would encourage it even.

However when its done for petty things and ended up with over 100 kids on detention on 1 day the school is doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back