SETI scientists spot 72 signals 'from alien galaxy' 3bn light years away

You say "Errr...no!" then kind of agree with everything I say. What did I say that you think is incorrect?
"Yes, but you may need a catalyst and certain conditions for life to get started."

This is the wrong bit. We only have our own existence as a yardstick. We can't assume that life is created the way it was here everywhere else.

Wasn't thinking that either

Not at all.

Its got to have come from somewhere though. Not god, then what? The easy answer is" its always been there"

In other words, you aint got a clue
Why does it have to come from somewhere?

Think about the cyclic argument and you realise the only mathematical explanation is it has always existed

"Yes, but you may need a catalyst and certain conditions for life to get started."

This is the wrong bit. We only have our own existence as a yardstick. We can't assume that life is created the way it was here everywhere else.

I agree with this but I can't see how it contradicts my statement. I only said "may need a catalyst", it's not a statement of fact. My main point is we can't assume life is prevalant in the universe until we find some evidence.

40,ooo years and the chance of it supporting intelligent life is infinitesimal.

So, for all practical purposes, we are alone:)

We wouldn't need to initially though, we could send probes, which we could get there in around 20 years.

In 20 years we would not even have left our own Solar System.

How Long Would It Take To Travel To The Nearest Star? - Universe Today

''... if it could attain the record-breaking speed of Helios 2‘s close approach of the Sun – a constant speed of 240,000 km/hr – it would take 19,000 years (or over 600 generations) to travel 4.243 light years.''

Interesting bit for me there is ''... 600 generations''!

The next star of consequence is Sirius - another 4 light years.

Space really is aptly named.

In 20 years we would not even have left our own Solar System.

How Long Would It Take To Travel To The Nearest Star? - Universe Today

''... if it could attain the record-breaking speed of Helios 2‘s close approach of the Sun – a constant speed of 240,000 km/hr – it would take 19,000 years (or over 600 generations) to travel 4.243 light years.''

Interesting bit for me there is ''... 600 generations''!

The next star of consequence is Sirius - another 4 light years.

Space really is aptly named.

Probes man, find out whether it's worth going first-

New Project Plans To Send A Spacecraft To Alpha Centauri In 20 Years

I watched a documentary about a new drive that may be able to do it as well, which an ex astronaut is building. I will see if I can locate some info on it.

Probes man, find out whether it's worth going first-

New Project Plans To Send A Spacecraft To Alpha Centauri In 20 Years

I watched a documentary about a new drive that may be able to do it as well, which an ex astronaut is building. I will see if I can locate some info on it.

From that article
“Today, we commit to this next great leap into the cosmos,” said Hawking at a press conference today. “Because we are human, and our nature is to fly.”

Erm no Stephen our nature is to walk.

Why don't they build this "drive" with people inside.

They could be there and back within their lifetime!

Well that will be the aim. I think the first phase is to get stuff to mars in three weeks, rather than it taking months.

Well that will be the aim. I think the first phase is to get stuff to mars in three weeks, rather than it taking months.

This is one of them

NASA’s New Vasimr Plasma Engine Could Reach Mars In Less Than 6 Weeks

Last edited:

Back