Servicing/fixing your own car

Dave Herbal

Striker
Does anyone still do this, like people used to do in the olden days? Seems to have become a forgotten art. Everyone just takes their car to a garage for the slightest thing now, when a lot of stuff you can fix yourself for a fraction of the cost.
I’ve just bought a set of brake pads for £15, should only take half an hour to fit.
Replaced blocked washer jets for about a fiver.
A full set of filters and a change of oil is less than £50.
You don’t even need to know what to do anymore, it’s all on YouTube.

I think that's why they have garages and stuff. Seriously though. Cars are different these days and most people don't run bangers so have no need to learn how to fix things.

A full set of filters and a change of oil is less than £50.
You don’t even need to know what to do anymore, it’s all on YouTube.

A garage would do it for that.

Last edited:
Still do oil and filter changes, brake pads, spark plugs and running repairs where I can. Different these days due to the diagnostics. Would attempt almost anything back in the 70's and 80's.

Can't even put a new battery on a car these days as the fuckers have to be programmed in :lol:

Last edited:
I'm toying with changing the parking sensors on mine. The YouTube videos look reasonably straightforward but it involves removing both bumpers and I'm a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to stuff like this.:lol: I did diagnose and fix it last time it stopped working but that was changing something in the engine.
Falls under the category of something that isn't vital so begrudge spending money on, but it could cost me a lot more if I balls it up.

I'm toying with changing the parking sensors on mine. The YouTube videos look reasonably straightforward but it involves removing both bumpers and I'm a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to stuff like this.:lol: I did diagnose and fix it last time it stopped working but that was changing something in the engine.
Falls under the category of something that isn't vital so begrudge spending money on, but it could cost me a lot more if I balls it up.
Just pay someone and save yourself the knack on.

Oil and filter change are easy.

Brakes are not something I’d fuck about with tbh. My brother in law did his and the brake pads came off when he braked at high speed on the A1.

Fucktard

drain the oil and put some new oil in it

change the spark plugs

charge them a fortune

Back