September Cricket

brandon

Striker
The business end of the domestic season is nearly upon us, Durham have 3 games left in our quest for promotion - but I’m sure from where we are, we’d want to win the league - and 206 points is the magic figure as things stand. Get to that number and we are guaranteed promotion. A further 32 points from where we currently sit.

It really feels like this summer has flown by and whilst officially the lads have 5 games of cricket left in 2023, unfortunately the first two of these have been rendered somewhat of an irrelevance due to the sabotage of our squad at the hands of the abhorrent 16.4. The three games in the last month of the season that matter are:

Sunday 3 September
v Sussex (h)

Tuesday 19 September
v Worcestershire (a)

Tuesday 26 September
v Leicestershire (h)
All of the days in September begin at 10:30. With the potential end of the season coming two days short of October, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see all of those games affected by the weather/bad light meaning we really ought to be all but guaranteed promotion thanks to our early season work - ever the pessimist, I’m counting no chickens yet - I’m looking forward to it though, hopefully I can get to atleast 6 of the last 8 home days, weather and game duration permitting to try and make the most of the dying embers of the season, as usual it’ll be a long dark winter.

Given what we’ve seen up to now, there isn’t really anything to fear from any of the opposition. Pujara is still with Sussex for our game against them as I understand it and he’ll probably be the best player we will face in the last few games - but ultimately, Durham’s biggest ‘threat’ comes from within. Aside from a raft of injuries to our bowling corps we should have both the depth and the health in our squad to be able to negotiate what’s left to come. One positive from the 16.4 decimation atleast has been that key bowlers like Potts, Raine and de Leede haven’t played at all. Carse shouldn’t have been too overworked either with his <4 overs per game. To that point, the biggest risk of underperformance will come from the rustiness of several lads not having played regular enough cricket to keep the body match sharp. Added to this, selfishly of course, it was good to see Potts and Carse overlooked for the England white ball squads to face NZ.

Ha’way Durham.

Looking forward to seeing some international cricket tbh. Shocking there won't have been any at all for most of August.

Seven ODI's in two weeks just before the WC is too much imho, especially for bowlers. Couple of warm up games in India on top of that too.

After nothing since June, it's going to be my busiest month of the season. One Day final and a few of the England games on the agenda

Last edited:
Always a bad month for me to attend games. Sussex at home day one is a Sunday so I'll get to that one, then everything else is massively up in the air in terms of attendance as getting annual leave is very difficult in September. I'll be doing everything possible to get to as many days as possible. It's madness that some teams have 4 games in September

Always a bad month for me to attend games. Sussex at home day one is a Sunday so I'll get to that one, then everything else is massively up in the air in terms of attendance as getting annual leave is very difficult in September. I'll be doing everything possible to get to as many days as possible. It's madness that some teams have 4 games in September

Hopefully there’s a trophy celebration that you can make it to 🤞

Sussex will be a tough game. Pujara is back and they have signed an Indian, left arm pace bowler for the last 3 games. I also suspect that Ollie Robinson will play, after a long rest.
Get through that game and promotion is ours.

Carse should miss only the Sussex game. Will we retain Pretorius as our 2nd overseas for these last 3 games,or sign a spinner or do without?

I’m interested to see what happens on that score mind. We should still have a strong enough seam attack to get the job done without Carse - but a spin option would seem like a handy addition if we can get one. Too much to ask to get Todd Murphy to honour that long agreed deal?! :eek:

I just hope that players like Potts, Raine and Ollie Robinson can play themselves straight back into form after virtually having a month off work.

Well, with the One Day Cup concluded (for us) this is what it has come down to. Nice week and a half off for the players, hopefully they will be raring to go come a week Sunday.

All players haven't played red ball cricket for a month so have to readjust. Durham have the advantage of now having a week off then a few days red ball practise to get back in rhythm.
The 2nd overseas slot choice will be crucial.

All players haven't played red ball cricket for a month so have to readjust. Durham have the advantage of now having a week off then a few days red ball practise to get back in rhythm.
The 2nd overseas slot choice will be crucial.
Always seems to fuck us over when they change formats

Back