Selling the soul of your club to be successful

dom

Striker
Do you wish the Saudis would buy us or do you think football is finished going down this route of highest bidder takes all?

I’m honestly at a point now where’s I don’t think I want us to get promoted.

We won’t ever break into the top 6 unless there are systemic changes in the football league system, and so I’m enjoying being one of the bigger fish in the pond that is the championship this season where we don’t desperately need to win and losing doesn’t ruin my weekend

We won’t ever break into the top 6 unless there are systemic changes in the football league system, and so I’m enjoying being one of the bigger fish in the pond that is the championship this season where we don’t desperately need to win and losing doesn’t ruin my weekend
Yeah I know how you feel.
I was desperate not to get relegated from the Premier League, now I just enjoy what ever league we’re in.

I think the perfect fan experience in my lifetime is Leicester City. Been shite but won a few cups, came from nowhere to win the league, had a QF run in the Champions League, and are probably gonna return to being shite with some unbelievable memories.

I think it must be boring to be a Man City fan, you should win every game so when you don't it's annoying and when you do it's more like relief than joy.

In short, nah I wouldn't want a Saudi/Qatar/UAE state ownership, even leaving aside the morality aspect.

I think the perfect fan experience in my lifetime is Leicester City. Been shite but won a few cups, came from nowhere to win the league, had a QF run in the Champions League, and are probably gonna return to being shite with some unbelievable memories.

I think it must be boring to be a Man City fan, you should win every game so when you don't it's annoying and when you do it's more like relief than joy.

In short, nah I wouldn't want a Saudi/Qatar/UAE state ownership, even leaving aside the morality aspect.
Good post mate.

Do you wish the Saudis would buy us or do you think football is finished going down this route of highest bidder takes all?

I think majority of fans of all clubs will have a dream of a local made good wealthy fan take them over and deliver success.
A nation/ oil takeover is not a good situation, I do feel sympathy for many long time supporters of Man City and nufc as deep down I think a lot of them hate ehat had happened to their clubs

football does go in cycles though, so things might be very different in 10/20years

No.
I know dignity in football is almost non existant anymore, but I would like our club to stay away from that blood stained money.
If we ever went that route as a club, that would be me done forever.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I yearn for something like the Reidy years. If he could have added a couple of cups, and maybe a couple of 6th places, instead of 7ths, then I would have died a very happy Georgie.

No.
I know dignity in football is almost non existant anymore, but I would like our club to stay away from that blood stained money.
If we ever went that route as a club, that would be me done forever.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I yearn for something like the Reidy years. If he could have added a couple of cups, and maybe a couple of 6th places, instead of 7ths, then I would have died a very happy Georgie.
Even though we won nowt, the Reidy years were great marra!

Just additional stress when you weigh it up.

Even though we won nowt, the Reidy years were great marra!
It's much more of an achievmeent what that group did and that can be applied to a fair few other clubs as well, noteably Leicester, than say the so called bigger teams finishing in a champions league place year after year. The way it's gone with this money business has ruined it, not quite finished but you can tell the direction of travel.

Nah.
Just get up there, and get into them, and fuck them up, as we were once prone to sing in the Fulwell.😁

Oh ye of little faith.🤣🤣🤣
I was born again that season!:lol:
It's much more of an achievmeent what that group did and that can be applied to a fair few other clubs as well, noteably Leicester, than say the so called bigger teams finishing in a champions league place year after year. The way it's gone with this money business has ruined it, not quite finished but you can tell the direction of travel.
Totally agree!

this for me too, it feels like proper football. I'm enjoying watching us win lose or draw.

Ideally I'd prefer us not to be owned by murderers or owt like that, but aye give us all the money and all the trophies.

People love using buzz phrases like 'sold your soul' but they're completely meaningless and everyone knows it whether you admit it or not. If we were all down Wembley after winning the FA Cup final you'd be getting pissed, having one of the best weekends of your life and it'd never even enter your thoughts about who owned the club and what they did for money.

Just see everyone coming up with all sorts of nonsense reasons why you're not jealous - Man City fans are now plastic (they aren't), Man City fans were quiet and weren't bothered when they beat us in the League Cup (just actively not true) and Man City fans now only feel relief rather than happiness (aye the turn around on the final day of the season last year or the Aguero goal to win the league looked like it gave them no joy at all), we all want to win trophies and are jealous of those who do. There's nothing wrong with admitting that.

Back