self employed - tax query (NI)

Fletch

Striker
If your profit (after expenses/allowances) for part time self employed comes to under £12500, does that mean you dont have to pay class 2 NI ? so you'll still get years NI automatically added towards state pension ?
cheers

was trying to sort for someone last night and looks as if profit is below £12,570 then although it states what the class 2 NI would be you dont pay it, the govt just pay it.
It was def paid last year ? normally ensure its always paid so that get state pension

If your profit (after expenses/allowances) for part time self employed comes to under £12500, does that mean you dont have to pay class 2 NI ? so you'll still get years NI automatically added towards state pension ?
cheers
There is a low earnings amount whereby if your profit is below that amount you can claim an exemption or if you've already paid your class 2 you can ask for a refund.
When I was self employed the low earnings amount was pretty low, off the top of my head it was around half your personal allowance for tax.
If you do request a refund or exemption you won't however get a credit for your state pension for that year.
If you also have a job as an employee and pay NI that way I guess you would be OK on that score but I'm not 100%.
@Wild Card would know better.

There is a low earnings amount whereby if your profit is below that amount you can claim an exemption or if you've already paid your class 2 you can ask for a refund.
When I was self employed the low earnings amount was pretty low, off the top of my head it was around half your personal allowance for tax.
If you do request a refund or exemption you won't however get a credit for your state pension for that year.
If you also have a job as an employee and pay NI that way I guess you would be OK on that score but I'm not 100%.
@Wild Card would know better.
This! Class 2 is £6,725 and it's Class 4 that is £12,570

was trying to sort for someone last night and looks as if profit is below £12,570 then although it states what the class 2 NI would be you dont pay it, the govt just pay it.
It was def paid last year ? normally ensure its always paid so that get state pension

Same thing happened to my Mrs.

Last year paid NI but this year on same earnings didn't have to pay anything (she is self employed)

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my Mrs.

Last year paid NI but this year on same earnings didn't have to pay anything (she is self employed)
profit £12400 and says nil class4 , which i get , but also says nil class 2 ? where in past sure that was paid
it looks as if profit under £6725 you can voluntarily pay it (for state pension), but if profit between 6725-12570 then you dont , the govt pay it
bizarre

cheers
On a side note, have you also checked the NI record for them?

This! Class 2 is £6,725 and it's Class 4 that is £12,570

Looks like the rules have changed a little since I was last self employed 8 years ago.
I don't understand what it means when it says class 2 is treated as having being paid if your profit is in-between those 2 amounts.
I'm assuming it means you don't have to pay it but hmrc treat you as though it has been paid. Seems a bit weird especially when most people I know pay class 2 by direct debit in advance 🤔

profit £12400 and says nil class4 , which i get , but also says nil class 2 ? where in past sure that was paid
it looks as if profit under £6725 you can voluntarily pay it (for state pension), but if profit between 6725-12570 then you dont , the govt pay it
bizarre
Aye that's it actually

Class 2 NIC are a fixed weekly amount – £3.45 per week for 2023/24 (£3.15 per week for the 2022/23 tax year) if you have made sufficient profits (see below).

The rules for Class 2 NIC changed for the 2022 to 2023 tax year onwards.

Prior to the 2022 to 2023 tax year you needed to pay Class 2 NIC if your profits were above the Small Profits Threshold.

For 2022 to 2023 onwards, you pay Class 2 NIC if your profits are above the Lower Profits Limit (which is £12,570 in 2023/24 and was £11,908 in 2022/23). If your profits are below the Small Profits Threshold (£6,725 in 2022 to 2023 and 2023 to 2024) then you can choose to pay voluntary Class 2 NIC. If your profits from self-employment are between the Small Profits Threshold and the Lower Profits Limit then there is no Class 2 NIC to pay, instead you will be treated as making Class 2 NIC. This will mean you will be able to access entitlement to contributory benefits in the same way as if you had paid Class 2 NIC.

bizarre

Thats exactly it, nothing to pay between thise amounts but you still get credit as if you have for you pension (stamp)

Was she paying her class 2 in advance though either in a one off or by direct debit ? I used to pay mine by direct debit.
Nah, always done via self assessment, just pay any tax and also the NI to ensure state pension

just wanted to check incase was missing anything as in past have always ensured the NI was voluntarily paid , but dont get that option this time , for this profit.

will just submit it tonight after work , cheers replies

Been abolished for the self employed unless your profits are below £6725, then you have to pay it. I could be wrong though.
I don't get the logic there. If profits are between £6725 and £12570 you don't pay it but get a credit. If profits are less ie below £6725 you have to pay it if you want a credit 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't make sense to me 🤣🤣

I don't get the logic there. If profits are between £6725 and £12570 you don't pay it but get a credit. If profits are less ie below £6725 you have to pay it if you want a credit 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't make sense to me 🤣🤣
exactly , hence why thought was missing something

cheers

From 6th April 2022 (relevant to 2022/23 tax year) Class 2 voluntary NIC does not have to be paid if taxable profits exceed the Class 2 NIC Small Profits Threshold of £6,725, but do not exceed the Class 4 NIC Lower profits Limit of £11,908.​

If your total taxable profit sits in between these 2 thresholds, HMRC will treat your Class 2 NIC as being paid. No physical payment is needed by individuals, and National Insurance credits will continue to be accumulated.

If your taxable profits sit below £6,725 then Voluntary Class 2 NIC will still need to be paid to HMRC to ensure National Insurance contributions are credited.

You should be making class 2, its a really cheap way to get a pension stamp...unless you don't need to.

Back