Self-driving car kills pedestrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars driven by actual people knock down pedestrians all the time. As far as I know this is the very first time a self driving car has done it. It may have even been the pedestrian's fault.

Eliminating such occurrences is surely the whole point of driverless cars.

Bloody great for those that want to travel long distances.

Say I'm going skiing.. I drive to midnight and get onto toll road.. autopilot for 5 hours while I get sone kip through the niggt

Headline you won't see about it:

Herbie Goes Bananas.

Going to be lots of legal blame type argumwnts coming up with self driving cars.. lawyers will make a killing

Was it the car, was it the technology...

Going to have to have 10 cameras on each car for evidence gathering..

What happens if lenses get dirty, bad weatger etc...

What do you mean was it the car - it's not sentient.

It could well have been but I am sure a competent lawyer can and will argue that a human driver could have reacted more quickly and possibly have avoided the pedestrian and hammer Uber for millions, not that that will be any use to the victim or her family. It's amazing that they were allowed to trial it on a public street.
When the Uber boss says "We're thinking of the victim's family as we work with local law enforcement to understand what happened," I think he means "We are working with our lawyers to mitigate our damages".

They’ve had self driving cars on the roads for a number of years now. They’re remarkably safe, actually

Short sighted view. Robots will be far superior to humans at driving once the kinks are worked out. You have to start somewhere.

Also from the story there is this point:

“Police said the accident happened Sunday night while the car was in autonomous mode. A human monitor was also behind the wheel.”

So what was he doing
Checking his banking

Headline you won't see about it:

Herbal Goes Bananas.

What do you mean was it the car - it's not sentient.
Tidied

I'd love to get in the car outside my house, drive a few miles to Liskeard then hook on to an automated system overnight and arrive in SR6 refreshed.
I like the idea of a rail system that I could put my car on or a cable system I can attach to and unhook from when nearly there.

Last edited:
It’s more than thirty years since the first fly by wire aircraft systems came into use and they are still a long way from allowing pilotless passenger aircraft in the skies.

The same applies to ground control systems which are still largely dependent on the human factor.

The vast worldwide road systems and traffic control are probably far more numerous and complex than this, so if modern technology still cant safely control the skyways, who is to say if and when it will ever be safe and trustworthy on jam packed roads ?
It will control air traffic. Its still early days but even 5 years ago the thought of ai actually driving was nigh on sci fi. Now ai is statistically safer than we are. In 5 years time it will be hundreds of times safer.

I understand now. You would have thought there would become sort of fail-safe whereby the car would effectively look to shut down if such a fault were detected.

Loads of parameters one being pedestrians, shutting cars down with a fault in a network for example would cause chaos, technology although a good thing takes years and years to perfect.
There will be many deaths getting there.

Loads of parameters one being pedestrians, shutting cars down with a fault in a network for example would cause chaos, technology although a good thing takes years and years to perfect.
There will be many deaths getting there.

It is years away from mass production for definite. The advanced technology would involve such elements as constant monitoring for potential mechanical defects and early diagnosis.

I don’t see any way they can take over 100%.
What about emergency services or even using them for emergency services ?
The possible nightmare scenarios don’t even bare thinking about.
I’d much prefer a real genuine amblance wizzing thru the traffic to whisk me off to Hospital should the need arrive.

If it gets to the stage where even fifty percent are driverless, I predict total chaos, as many of the other half will no doubt delight in taking the piss by carving them up with little worry about come back or getting their heeds bashed in.

Can a robot determin what a pedestrian might do on a pavement ? does it slow down when a mother of a little kid leaves go of their mothers hand a couple of seconds before the car passes ? safe driving takes years of experience, I'm not sure a robot can have that.

Will a robot show off to it's mates?
Will a robot be tired from having a late night?
Will a robot put make up on while driving?
Will a robot send texts or check Facebook?
Will a robot speed because it's late for a meeting?
Will a robot be distracted by the song on the radio or the guff their mates are chatting about?
Will a robot be in its 90s and have slower reactions?
Will a robot be 17 and have no experience?
Will a robot get road rage?
Will a robot slow down to look at accidents on the other carriageway.
Will a robot tailgate?
Will a robot drive too slowly?
Will a robot try and overtake on blind bends?
Will a robot not bother checking it's mirrors before pulling out?
Will a robot not have a clue how to drive in the snow?
Will a robot drive while drunk?
Will a robot drive without a licence?

Oh and ask yourself, how many drivers actually have enough about them to notice your situation. These are the same people who can drive for 5 miles in the outside lane and not realise that someone is behind them.

People are shit at driving.

Will a robot show off to it's mates?
Will a robot be tired from having a late night?
Will a robot put make up on while driving?
Will a robot send texts or check Facebook?
Will a robot speed because it's late for a meeting?
Will a robot be distracted by the song on the radio or the guff their mates are chatting about?
Will a robot be in its 90s and have slower reactions?
Will a robot be 17 and have no experience?
Will a robot get road rage?
Will a robot slow down to look at accidents on the other carriageway.
Will a robot tailgate?
Will a robot drive too slowly?
Will a robot try and overtake on blind bends?
Will a robot not bother checking it's mirrors before pulling out?
Will a robot not have a clue how to drive in the snow?
Will a robot drive while drunk?
Will a robot drive without a licence?

Oh and ask yourself, how many drivers actually have enough about them to notice your situation. These are the same people who can drive for 5 miles in the outside lane and not realise that someone is behind them.

People are shit at driving.
I agree 100% but I'm not convinced they can teach a robot to drive safely yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back