Seaham Harbour CC

We the committee of Seaham Harbour CC wish to call an Extraordinary General Meeting on Weds 28th February at 7.00 pm at the club house. The EGM is being called with great regret as we have grave concerns about the future of the club. We currently do not have enough senior players and officials to continue running the club. I urge all players and members to attend the meeting. At the conclusion of this meeting we will determine whether the club will continue to exist.

Not looking good for them, hopefully they sort it out.

Saw on twitter earlier another team were going to fold unless players signed on for them. Will come to a head in the next couple of seasons

Any more news on this? Any Seaham lads on here? Wats happening ? Players had enough? Looks like it’s game over. Will this start a domino effect on other clubs?

Correct me if Im wrong but does the division they are in require them to field 1st and 2s on Saturday, academy/3rd on a sunday, midweek 3s and junior sides?

Thats a lot of cricketers required

I hope they drop down a division or two rather than fold

Correct me if Im wrong but does the division they are in require them to field 1st and 2s on Saturday, academy/3rd on a sunday, midweek 3s and junior sides?

The DCB should get involved in this sort of thing and pave away to get them in the NEDL or something.

They'll have loads of juniors there who'll no doubt be lost to the game if they fold.

Aye you have to field all those sides except the midweek team which iirc is optional.

Seems enough to at least prob have 2 teams going by the amount goes to their training at Wingate

Disagree. It drives participation.

Any club can drop to DCL or NEDL if they don't like it.

That would mean clubs who have got 22 players keen to play on Saturday have to play in a lower league and lower standard, if the club cant get enough players to play on Sunday.

That can't be right, clubs could even lose top players because of it.

In this day and age it's inevitable some people don't want to spend all day on the weekend playing cricket, it's time to move with the times.

It's just another example of having a criteria that's simply not needed in this day and age.

Last edited:
That would mean clubs who have got 22 players keen to play on Saturday have to play in a lower league and lower standard, if the club cant get enough players to play on Sunday.

That can't be right, clubs could even lose top players because of it.

In this day and age it's inevitable some people don't want to spend all day on the weekend playing cricket, it's time to move with the times.

It's just another example of having a criteria that's simply not needed in this day and age.

We'll agree to disagree. NEPL is about strong clubs not just strong first teams.

3rd teams represent that in the same way that the compulsory things like juniors, ground dimensions etc do.

We'll agree to disagree. NEPL is about strong clubs not just strong first teams.

3rd teams represent that in the same way that the compulsory things like juniors, ground dimensions etc do.

I think for Seaham Harbour it's asking too much off them with both Seaham Park and Dawdon little more than a stone throw away to put three teams out to play all afternoon.

In my experience I think third team cricket should be on a night over a short format who don't take it too seriously and want to enjoy the game.

Asking third team cricketers to give up a whole afternoon is too much imo and the longevity won't last.

A strong club surely is a club which caters for the needs of all types of player.i.e. male, female, junior and those whose circumstances allow them to play only on an evening. I can't see the logic in the argument that you can only be a strong club if you can field 3 senior teams in a weekend. Typifies the dictatorial attitude of NEPL management.

The restrictions that are being put on 3rd team eligibility will see leagues disappear up their own arse

Getting lads to turn out is a job in its self last year teams got dispensation with lads not bowling and batting down the order this worked and got games played. Certain odd teams took the piss but in general clubs self regulated stronger players helped the development of kids coming through

Sunday cricket will be spoilt because of the lack of common sense

Last edited:
I feel for the Harbour but this seems to be an Annual post to drum up some late interest to get a few players. They will be fine for 2018

Some valid points about criteria but the issue here is getting 22 for a Saturday. Sunday 3rds is a lot easier as format shorter and younger lads keen to play. Saturdays is the mess especially with the amount of overlap between the foorball seasons at the start and end of the season. Holiday season is a nightmare as well.

In my day players missed maybe max 2 games a season due to an odd wedding / holiday. Now you would be lucky if players played on average 70% of time outside of the first team

I would look at changing 2nd team formats and make these shorter games from say 2pm till 7pm and build in flexibility to change these when teams struggle to field a team

Anyway, good luck to the Harbour as it's a good club with some great lads

Back