Seaham car park charging being introduced.

Or just scrap the parking which locals never wanted anyway.
Nobody would rather pay
If I go anywhere for a dodge , down the coast ,into the dales etc
The first thing I do when I park up is look for a meter
They've gradually made it more visitable at a cost so they are trying to generate something back.
Not many councils rolling in money these days

Nobody would rather pay
They've gradually made it more visitable at a cost so they are trying to generate something back.
I appreciate that but Seaham is only just recovering from being a ghost town after the pit closure.

I would hasten to add that the local businesses aren't rolling in money either the knars

I appreciate that but Seaham is only just recovering from being a ghost town after the pit closure.

I would hasten to add that the local businesses aren't rolling in money either the knars
It's come a long long way since the pits ,so has Murton . Those cars parking there aren't skint . Tight maybe

Nobody would rather pay

The Council have done nowt to make Seaham more visitable. If anything they’ve reduced it over the last few years. Carnival stripped right down, fireworks cancelled.
Tommy was funded by the public.if the public hadn’t paid for it the Council were going to let it go!
The restaurants on the front are all private enterprises. It’s them that have made Seaham more visitable and the Council have hoyed it back in their faces.

Last edited:
The Council have done nowt to make Seaham more visitable. If anything they’ve reduced it over the last few years. Carnival stripped right down, fireworks cancelled.
Tommy was funded by the public.if the public hadn’t paid for it the Council were going to let it go!
The restaurants on the front are all private enterprises. It’s them that have made Seaham more visitable and the Council have hoyed it back in their faces.

Things like carnivals, fireworks & war memorials are the remit of the town council not Durham County Council

And not forgetting the council wanted nowt to do with the George Elmy.

Ok ,sounds like you're local ,all the developments from say 2000
No local council involvement?
East shore ,asda etc ?

I heard it was some angry doggers that pulled it out.
Imagine having to pay for your dogging. That would make me angry as well.

The owner of the north shore cafe has said it's hit his takings. I've no doubt it will hit others as well. I know people who liked Seaham because of the free parking. It was a good incentive to visit. Judging by the number of empty spaces on Friday afternoon along the front, it looks like folk are going elsewhere.

Last edited:
You said the council hadn’t done anything to promote Seaham - what about the very successful food festival which they organise?
Fair enough. The food festival is something. So nowt is wrong.
Next to nowt? Absolutely. The public have been asking for toilets for years. Nothing. New leisure facilities. Nothing. The main reason there is regular trade and visitors on the front is due to a public crowdfunding and businesses and the greedy bastards are going to ruin it.

Last edited:

Back