Seaham car park charging being introduced.

Ah sorry I meant like literal Durham the city rather than Co. Durham where most the Bell's are.

Buggar all over that way and even over Consett way, well what I've found anyway.

Never been to that one though, we usually go to Ambleside whenever popping down that way. Canny little chippy imo.
I was referring to the long standing fact that theres neewhere to eat in Durham. :lol:

The poor bloke who runs North Beach cafe quoted on one of the FB pages , his cafe is sited in the Seaham hall car park . They’ve asked for a couple of bays for takeaway customers and been knocked back and also have nowhere for any deliveries to park up . Apparently they were told delivery drivers could park on the road !
The irony of it all is that he’s spent thousands renovating the cafe and built up a good business and his own landlord is doing this to him - it’s owned by the council…

I read that but I cant get my head round why someone would spend thousands doing up a place thats not theres. Seems mental to me

Same poor bloke that tries to stop the public using the toilets in there despite them being public facilities….

Are they definitely public like?
I read that but I cant get my head round why someone would spend thousands doing up a place thats not theres. Seems mental to me

My thoughts too. Surely it's up to his discretion who uses the bogs?

Last edited:
Have they said how many hundred 'Parking Tarrif' signs will be bombarding the senses when this gets going ? If it's owt like hospitals you won't be able to turn your head without seeing one. If it's true that the bikers are exempt (especially at Tommy) that's something I suppose. People like to see the bikers parked up along there.

Are they definitely public like?

My thoughts too. Surely it's up to his discretion who uses the bogs?
I think originally there was a council owned toilet block there next to a little serving hatch type of basic cafe . The cafe was rebuilt some years ago and the toilets were incorporated into the building so it’s always been that they were public toilets.
He leases the building off them and did it up as it was just a snack bar but the toilets have always been public, a daft idea really when you think about it

I think originally there was a council owned toilet block there next to a little serving hatch type of basic cafe . The cafe was rebuilt some years ago and the toilets were incorporated into the building so it’s always been that they were public toilets.
He leases the building off them and did it up as it was just a snack bar but the toilets have always been public, a daft idea really when you think about it
Tonia’s was an institution not just a Hatch type cafe ! :lol:

Really?
I prefer Seaham chippy up South railway st when i visit my owld yem. Barclays bank where Bells is could have been a good boozer. Seaham, where they close pubs and turn them into shops, and closed shops get turned into pubs. :D
Top chippy that like
Depends how long his lease is

Last edited:
I know it's a very small sample size but talking to a family member today who tend to meet in north shore coffee bar for coffee, bit to eat with friends every Thursday. They come from all over so good meeting spot. They've said it will be there last there this week and will look for somewhere different due to charges

Me ma was saying loads of her marras from all ower the NE meet up in the north cafe car park for coffee and two groups walk along the top or bottom (whoever can manage the stairs!) to Tommy area for another coffee twice every midweek. They’ll be looking elsewhere now due to increase in cost of day out overall.
I remember @HellsBells mam saying the exact same to me at Xmas.

It’s a mad move by any stretch of the imagination. Surely the council can stretch to free parking for up to 3 or 4 hours or summet?

Me ma was saying loads of her marras from all ower the NE meet up in the north cafe car park for coffee and two groups walk along the top or bottom (whoever can manage the stairs!) to Tommy area for another coffee twice every midweek. They’ll be looking elsewhere now due to increase in cost of day out overall.

It’s a mad move by any stretch of the imagination. Surely the council can stretch to free parking for up to 3 or 4 hours or summet?

Ideal for me mother and her friends who are if a certain vintage. No bother getting parked and few meter walk to that gaff. I'd be raging if I owned that coffee shop. Nowhere else really close to park apart from that car park

Mam said she’ll be parking in Asda going forward. She goes down the Harbour most days for a walk with her mates so she’ll just be popping in for milk when she does. It’ll be people like me who come for the day who will be parking next to Tommy and paying for it.

Mam said she’ll be parking in Asda going forward. She goes down the Harbour most days for a walk with her mates so she’ll just be popping in for milk when she does. It’ll be people like me who come for the day who will be parking next to Tommy and paying for it.

Asda can get busy enough at the best of time but can see it being mental once the charges are brought. Every man and his dog seems to be planning to park there ha (me included)

Back