School trips to watch cricket?

Just had a look at the scorecard and saw Steve Greensword was playing, that takes me back a bit.

I was also at that game, saw our teacher with the "official" school trip, me and my mate were on an unofficial one.

Neil Riddell was a useful player too back then.

Great side back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Atkinson, Romaines, Greensword, Riddell, Wasim Raja, Cairns, Patel, Kippax, Fothergill, Conn, Wilkinson etc. And a group of north-east born cricketers playing CC for Northamptonshire/Warwickshire. We'd have been a top side if there was a FC county in existence.

Went years without losing a Minor Counties game if I remember.

The opposition batsmen used to crap themselves when Wilki came steaming in even when he was getting on a bit.:eek::lol:

Brian Lander always bowled a nagging length as well.

Neil Riddell was a useful player too back then.

Can't remember him marra, too long ago.

Great side back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Atkinson, Romaines, Greensword, Riddell, Wasim Raja, Cairns, Patel, Kippax, Fothergill, Conn, Wilkinson etc. And a group of north-east born cricketers playing CC for Northamptonshire/Warwickshire. We'd have been a top side if there was a FC county in existence.

Remember Romaines, Mercer and Greensword though.

If Conn was Ian Conn, went on to play for Northumberland, he bowled me, first ball I ever faced as a junior aged 14, last man in at number 10 at Burnmoor.
I was almost in tears.

I never really improved after that either.

If Conn was Ian Conn, went on to play for Northumberland, he bowled me, first ball I ever faced as a junior aged 14, last man in at number 10 at Burnmoor.
I was almost in tears.

Mercer was a big lad for a wicket keeper. I saw him watching a game at the Riverside when it first opened but then he sadly died shortly after.

I was almost in tears.

Seems sides struggled to get a full side out, even in the 'good old days' ;)

Obviously it was a different era, but I think the fact that most decent teams had an overseas Test player raised the standard of the local talent as well.

As a Minor County, Durham had a strong backbone of DSL/TSL players supplemented by top class pro's.

Last edited:
remember going to the riverside to watch England u19s vs NZ under 19s - approx. 1996 but someone on here probably knows exact date

edit - Full Scorecard of England Under-19s vs New Zealand Under-19s 1st Youth ODI 1996 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com
Old Trafford '88 England v West Indies in the summer of 4 Captains - Mike Gatting was fielding on the boundary next to the WI Supporters. They kept chucking food down to him and he had a little stash of chicken wings and various pastries piled up on the grass :lol:

Headingley '93 England v Australia. Boon was out lbw as we got into the ground then Waugh and Border batted all day against a pop gun attack of McCague, Illot, Caddick and Bicknell

Yep. I couldn't hit it off the square. Jumped down the track and hit a nice one through the covers off Phil Carrick, then got an inside nick on one from Graham Stevenson. To be fair it WAS nipping around.

A mate of mine Peter Crane played in the Yorkshire game so he tells me!

Yep. I couldn't hit it off the square. Jumped down the track and hit a nice one through the covers off Phil Carrick, then got an inside nick on one from Graham Stevenson. To be fair it WAS nipping around.

Mind you I remember you thumping Allott, Malone and Hogg round Ropery Lane when Durham beat Lancs 2nds in the same year...and I got your autograph!:D

Allott 5-0- 60-0 :lol:

Mind you I remember you thumping Allott, Malone and Hogg round Ropery Lane when Durham beat Lancs 2nds in the same year...and I got your autograph!:D

Allott 5-0- 60-0 :lol:
Too kind! I hope you also got Wasim Raja's autograph. Now there WAS a player - only time I've winced for a bowler on his followthrough. Waz smashed one back at Willie Hogg and it parted his hair! Umpire and I dived for cover.

Too kind! I hope you also got Wasim Raja's autograph. Now there WAS a player - only time I've winced for a bowler on his followthrough. Waz smashed one back at Willie Hogg and it parted his hair! Umpire and I dived for cover.

I think I got Waz's autograph about 10 times during his time at Ch le Street from 77-79..the days of Norman Allison,Billy Routledge, David Greener,Ken Flynn, David Nevins etc.:lol:

Went 1972 (ish) to watch Durham Senior League v Yorkshire. Our pe teacher was a batsman (played for Philladelphia) and had an attitude that would have got him a part in Kes. Anyway he strode out second wicket down. Chris Old bowled a ball and he didn't even move. Second ball knocked back 2 of his stumps. Roared off with loads of derision from the coach load of us school kids going " quack, quack". Wonderful.

Anyone ever go on any?

In what we knew then as the 1st year of seniors in 1986 we went to Darlington to watch Durham v Middlesex in iirc the natwest trophy. Then in same year we went to headingley to watch England v Pakistan. Only thing I can remember from that game is Salim Malik getting out on 99
England v West Indies at Old Trafford 1988 - me and my mate kept running round the boundary edge to talk to Mike Gatting, He was fielding at 3rd man/deep mid wicket and had a stash of food that the WI supporters were throwing down to him :lol:

England v Australia at Headingley 1993 - as we were taking our seats we got Boon out. No more wickets for the rest of the day as Steve Waugh and Allan Border smashed us to all parts. Left the ground as Graham Thorpe was bowling a few
England v West Indies at Old Trafford 1988 - me and my mate kept running round the boundary edge to talk to Mike Gatting, He was fielding at 3rd man/deep mid wicket and had a stash of food that the WI supporters were throwing down to him :lol:

England v Australia at Headingley 1993 - as we were taking our seats we got Boon out. No more wickets for the rest of the day as Steve Waugh and Allan Border smashed us to all parts. Left the ground as Graham Thorpe was bowling a few

SEB

Last edited:
Was taken on a school trip to Chelmsford for Essex v Yorkshire in the B & H semi-final in '79. Jackie Hampshire had a decent knock, and Yorkshire started fairly well with the bat, but they then started losing wickets and their runs dried up. Essex knocked off the runs comfortably to make their first ever cup final.

Packed in like sardines. We got there for 9, were let into the gate for official parties, and the crowds were snaking out of Writtle Road and around the ground into Chelmer Park.

People were sat in the aisles, peering over fences, and standing in the mulri storey car park the other side of the main road. This for a live on tv county game. After a 103 year wait to win anything, I guess everyone wanted to be there and at Lord's when it finally happened.

Back