School trips to watch cricket?

Anyone ever go on any?

In what we knew then as the 1st year of seniors in 1986 we went to Darlington to watch Durham v Middlesex in iirc the natwest trophy. Then in same year we went to headingley to watch England v Pakistan. Only thing I can remember from that game is Salim Malik getting out on 99

Went to the first Callers Pegasus International in the early 80's. It was during the six weeks holidays but our cricket-mad PE teacher still took us. Basil D'Oliveira played and was superb even though he was probably well retired by then.

Went to a game at CLS. Must have been early CC days for Durham as i seem to remember Botham, Larkins playing however this is a bit of a hazy memory given how long ago it was.

Helped to cement obsession with cricket

Recall going to see Durham vs Derbyshire at Feethams in 2002, there wasn't much interest in cricket in my year at school so I confidently predicted to the lesser knowledgeable that the big tall fast bowler would play for England shortly. About a month later, Mr. Harmison was indeed making his test debut.

Aye my school is right next to the riverside, we got took to loads of games, even had free season tickets for T20 for years

Will Smith was very popular in our school due to his name

Mustard by first hero, probably why I was overly defensive when we got rid of him!

Trying to remember exactly, but our school team's best ever trip was to see David Boon crush the ball all round Gosforth in the mid 80s.

Might have been a benefit game for Colin Milburn?

Durham v Essex in the Gillette Cup 1973.

Durham had beaten Yorkshire in the previous round, but were soundly beaten by Essex

Full Scorecard of Durham vs Essex, Friends Provident Trophy (Gillette Cup / NatWest Trophy / C&G Trophy), 2nd Round - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Just had a look at the scorecard and saw Steve Greensword was playing, that takes me back a bit.

Me and my mate once went on an 'unofficial school trip' to watch Durham play Yorkshire in the Gillette Cup at Ropery Lane in 1979 aged 14.

Certainly better than Double Maths followed by lumpy semolina and rose hip syrup.:eek:

I was also at that game, saw our teacher with the "official" school trip, me and my mate were on an unofficial one.

Just had a look at the scorecard and saw Steve Greensword was playing, that takes me back a bit.

I was also at that game, saw our teacher with the "official" school trip, me and my mate were on an unofficial one.

Fond memories of Lance Cairns hitting Chris Old out the ground then removing David Bairstow and Kevin Sharp to leave them on 6-2....then Boycott took over.

Fond memories of Lance Cairns hitting Chris Old out the ground then removing David Bairstow and Kevin Sharp to leave them on 6-2....then Boycott took over.
Don't remember much about the game tbh.
Just Durham seemed really slow in getting runs.
Remember seeing both Lance Cairns and Wasim Raja playing cup games at Hetton Lyons.
Thrilling for a kid to see such stars in local leagues.

Back