Scammers are upping their game

Cheers for that. I vaguely remember an email from Paddy Power who come up on that link.

Don't use the same password for all your accounts. If you are based in the UK, they can generally assume you have an amazon account, facebook, other social media etc, skype, ebay. If you have had to create an account for something you wanted to buy from a small shop, then the protection for all your common logins is only as strong as the security on that one tinpot site.

A password vault like KeePass can be a big help. Also consider a complicated password but having some of the characters relate to the site you logged into, like 'SMBmypassword'. Obviously make it more secure than that, but then if you do find someone using a password of yours you have some idea where it came from.

Going to be honest, I got one last week from the sales@ email address at work, which only me and my boss have access to and deleted it.
Got another one yesterday saying if ignored it again a video of me pulling my skeleton out would go to all the contacts on the list and didn't sleep last night.

Feel much happier now having seen this thread as one is almost exactly the same.
It is very easy to fake the mail from address, but if you know how to read mail headers you can see it did not originate at your work.

Someone you work with may have had their address book compromised. I often get fake mails from legitimate people I work with, or used to work with.

Last edited:
:D:D:D love this

Fake broadband ISP support scammers accidentally cough up IP address to Deadpool in card phish gone wrong

The scam began when Mabbitt complained publicly to UK broadband giant Virgin Media on Twitter about a dodgy internet connection. A crook, operating a Virgin Media support lookalike account, clocked the gripe, and slid into his DMs asking for personal details to help out. Said details included things like confirming his card number.

"It seems those behind the account(s) are watching for keywords in real time and sending these messages very quickly; exploiting both the speed of a reply and the frustration being held by the person writing the initial tweet."

Spotting the phishing attempt early on, our protagonist decided to play along with the ruse, giving the fraudsters a fictional name and address – in this case, the address being the Met Police, on Savile Row in London, and the name being Wade Wilson aka Marvell's potty-mouthed super-merc Deadpool.

whole story in link

Fake broadband ISP support scammers accidentally cough up IP address to Deadpool in card phish gone wrong

Back