Sarsaparilla Sykes Pop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only know what I seen on the programme mate.
Me an' arl, not being a native. Just seemed that the memories of Fishburn folk were less romantic than the programme gave. Tbf I really enjoyed it as it was a bit random when some bird from Eastenders was so knowledgable about an east Durham pit village.

I've been doing some family history stuff and a while ago i was following one of our lasses and found someone with the same name who married an Italian geezer who made ice-cream and had a shop in Sunderland. There was a whole family of Italian siblings and their mam. It wasn't one of the usual Sunderland ice-cream families and i can't remember right now what it was. :confused:
A quick look at the 1911 census gives me a whole load of Italians connected with the ice-cream business in Sunderland and County Durham. In my search criteria i didn't put any names in but did put in Italy as birthplace and also "ice-cream vendor/business. Some of the Sunderland families include. Fucile, Laurenti, Maffini, Tomeo, Vannuci and Ventre. There are probably other families of Italian descent who were born in Sunderland/County Durham but don't show up in the results which only searched for Italian born people.
In County Durham Bishop Auckland has a few families including Pettiglio, Cessino and Risi. Thornley seems to have quite a few families, even Consett has the Rossi and Figlisini's. There are many other Italian familys in Heworth, Hartlepool, Gateshead, Durham, Jarrow, Darlington, Shildon, Kelloe and Shotton among other places, all connected with the ice-cream business.

A quick look at the 1911 census gives me a whole load of Italians connected with the ice-cream business in Sunderland and County Durham. In my search criteria i didn't put any names in but did put in Italy as birthplace and also "ice-cream vendor/business. Some of the Sunderland families include. Fucile, Laurenti, Maffini, Tomeo, Vannuci and Ventre. There are probably other families of Italian descent who were born in Sunderland/County Durham but don't show up in the results which only searched for Italian born people.
In County Durham Bishop Auckland has a few families including Pettiglio, Cessino and Risi. Thornley seems to have quite a few families, even Consett has the Rossi and Figlisini's. There are many other Italian familys in Heworth, Hartlepool, Gateshead, Durham, Jarrow, Darlington, Shildon, Kelloe and Shotton among other places, all connected with the ice-cream business.

Beamish is to have an ice cream parlour in it's 1950's exhibition

http://experiencehistory.co.uk/blog/view/57/beamish-museum-johns-cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back