Santa Clausette

HeroHurley

Midfield
Plans for a female Santa Claus at a town’s Christmas parade have led to accusations that councillors are letting political correctness ruin tradition.

Father Christmas tours the streets of Newton Aycliffe every Christmas Eve, handing out sweets to crowds of excited children from a float. The festivities have taken place in the town in Co Durham since the 1960s.

This year things will be different after a sub-committee at Great Aycliffe town council voted unanimously to let a female volunteer take up the role.

But not everyone is feeling merry and bright about a woman Santa.

Arun Chandran, a Labour councillor, said: “My understanding is that Santa Claus, otherwise called Father Christmas, is a male role. I have no issue with a Mrs Claus. But Santa Claus being a man is a long-held tradition accepted by the vast majority of society.”

He said that children would be expecting a male Santa and it could reflect badly on the council if it introduced “a form of political correctness” in response to a demand for “women’s rights to be Santa Claus”. Two women are said to have volunteered for the role.

Andrew Bailey, the council clerk, said that a final decision would be made on December 12.

Bill Blenkinsopp, 70, an Aycliffe village councillor for over 30 years, dismissed Mr Chandran’s objections.

“We voted unanimously, there’s nothing wrong with the lady Santa,” he said, adding: “Does it matter who Santa is?”

Just ridiculous now :lol:

If they're going along on a float waving at folk and have a big beard, big hat and coat etc, a man on a flying horse isn't going to know whether it's a woman or a man posing as Santa anyway!

What a complete "Look at me!" story.

Last edited:
Plans for a female Santa Claus at a town’s Christmas parade have led to accusations that councillors are letting political correctness ruin tradition.

Father Christmas tours the streets of Newton Aycliffe every Christmas Eve, handing out sweets to crowds of excited children from a float. The festivities have taken place in the town in Co Durham since the 1960s.

This year things will be different after a sub-committee at Great Aycliffe town council voted unanimously to let a female volunteer take up the role.

But not everyone is feeling merry and bright about a woman Santa.

Arun Chandran, a Labour councillor, said: “My understanding is that Santa Claus, otherwise called Father Christmas, is a male role. I have no issue with a Mrs Claus. But Santa Claus being a man is a long-held tradition accepted by the vast majority of society.”

He said that children would be expecting a male Santa and it could reflect badly on the council if it introduced “a form of political correctness” in response to a demand for “women’s rights to be Santa Claus”. Two women are said to have volunteered for the role.

Andrew Bailey, the council clerk, said that a final decision would be made on December 12.

Bill Blenkinsopp, 70, an Aycliffe village councillor for over 30 years, dismissed Mr Chandran’s objections.

“We voted unanimously, there’s nothing wrong with the lady Santa,” he said, adding: “Does it matter who Santa is?”

Just ridiculous now :lol:

The people of aycliffe see santa claus daily man

Back