Sale of the 16.4/The Death of County Cricket

The worry further down the line is if the franchises eventually take full control and decide that they will keep all the money they make for their own teams.

Where will that leave teams like Leicestershire and Derbyshire? This is definitely going to kill the county game rather than grow it in my opinion.

its been coming for a while, and despite what they say i doubt they want anywhere close to 18 or 19 teams, 10 possibly, absolute MAX at 12 and thats pushing it, keep the big clubs bigger, possibly throw the likes of us and somerset a bone, there will be part of the ECB hopes the likes for worcester, leicester and the likes go under

If ECB sell 30% of their share and the host county sell, say 25% to the same franchise, that will give them 55% and therefore the major controlling interest which could be bad for all counties not just the smaller ones.

If this happens to all 16.4 teams it could be very dangerous. For example would their selected players be withdrawn for some or all of the county season to play in this? Would they dictate how and when the games are played? An expanded tournament could result in July as well as August taking up the domestic calendar.

However the key issue is Indian players. Its well known the top players aren't allowed to play in overseas domestic tournaments and it is their presence that would bring in the serious money from broadcasting, sponsorship etc.

ECB and county CEOs are just being greedy. Any one of those franchises could be another Stanford. I just hope this greed doesn't result in the entire county domestic game going bust.

The main thing that interest me is who the players are contracted to, dare I even say ‘owned by’.

It could get interesting if there are players contracted solely to counties (therefore not centrally contracted) who refuse permission for players to be used by franchises.
its been coming for a while, and despite what they say i doubt they want anywhere close to 18 or 19 teams, 10 possibly, absolute MAX at 12 and thats pushing it, keep the big clubs bigger, possibly throw the likes of us and somerset a bone, there will be part of the ECB hopes the likes for worcester, leicester and the likes go under

Hopefully following the recent talk of private investment you’ll have seen the error of your ways and won’t put any more money into it.

Last edited:
Hopefully following the recent talk of private investment you’ll have seen the error of your ways and won’t put any more money into it.
as i posted in the hundred thread, the bairn hasnt asked to go this year, seen plenty of adverts, and in the past they asked straight away

I think they see Durham is a strategically important county with us covering the entire North East and Cumbria so that probably saves us.

There are loads of clubs in the Midlands they’d love to see disappear IMO. Northants, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Worcestershire. Leaving behind just Notts and Warks.

Then Gloucestershire and Sussex further south.

The ECB make me sick.

I think they see Durham is a strategically important county with us covering the entire North East and Cumbria so that probably saves us.

There are loads of clubs in the Midlands they’d love to see disappear IMO. Northants, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Worcestershire. Leaving behind just Notts and Warks.

Then Gloucestershire and Sussex further south.

The ECB make me sick.
yeah i think thats our saving grace to be honest, no competition near by, where as they are all within about 45 of a big test ground

I hate the 100 but it might keep the smaller counties alive

There’s no easy solution, how are they funded other wise, what’s the suggestions? Genuine question.

Bostock is totally honest in saying the payment we got from the ECB from it basically turned the club around

There’s no easy solution, how are they funded other wise, what’s the suggestions? Genuine question.

Bostock is totally honest in saying the payment we got from the ECB from it basically turned the club around
This is the false propaganda the Hundred supporters use.ECB money is the Counties money.They supply the players to the England team from which the revenue is raised through gate,tv and sponsorship revenue. the ECB are merely the bursers for the counties. This revenue isn't distributed evenly with the test venue counties getting a far greater and unfair proportion of this revenue.

This is the false propaganda the Hundred supporters use.ECB money is the Counties money.They supply the players to the England team from which the revenue is raised through gate,tv and sponsorship revenue. the ECB are merely the bursers for the counties. This revenue isn't distributed evenly with the test venue counties getting a far greater and unfair proportion of this revenue.

I get that but it’s not coming from100 supporters.

He doesn't mean just fans like us, he means anyone who is in favour of The Hundred, execs included.

Tim Bostock is a director of the Leeds team so he is clearly going to be speaking positively about it.

Yeah probs

Listen I hate the 100 and I don’t have the answers but some people are just being either naive or just ignoring the reality of some of these counties financially,

The game had over £50m in reserves before the 16.4 was forced on us.

It won't, it will be the vehicle used to kill them off. You don't need a pool of English players when you're renting the same old faces as every other franchise league, so there's no need to fund cricket outside of the franchises.

We've taken away cricket from half the country in the height of summer, it's already happening.

Last edited:
Yeah probs

Listen I hate the 100 and I don’t have the answers but some people are just being either naive or just ignoring the reality of some of these counties financially,
Just got round to listening to his podcast with Atherton and Sky this morning on my walk, came across very well talking a lot of common sense imo.

Clearly a very intelligent bloke and astute bloke

The game had over £50m in reserves before the 16.4 was forced on us.

It won't, it will be the vehicle used to kill them off. You don't need a pool of English players when you're renting the same old faces as every other franchise league, so there's no need to fund cricket outside of the franchises.

We've taken away cricket from half the country in the height of summer, it's already happening.

Aye I've said I totally agree, but saying some of these counties were in the absolute shit and needed bail outs before the 100 existed, that is being ignored on here. That was the reality.

You mean the ‘bribe’ that came from money the counties already owned*, had stolen from them and then given partially back?

Here M&O, send me £50 via PayPal tonight, then tomorrow I’ll send you back £1.50. Good deal that.

*ECB reserves.

The 16.4 certainly isn’t the solution, it’s the problem. A massive one.
Aye I've said I totally agree, but saying some of these counties were in the absolute shit and needed bail outs before the 100 existed, that is being ignored on here. That was the reality.

It isn’t being ignored, as our own case proved, it could happen to any county - just look at the debt Yorkshire are in - but FTECB could easily have used their vast reserves to bail us (and any other county) out. They chose not to, instead, they pissed all their reserves up the wall on arguably the worst idea that domestic cricket has ever had forced upon it.

The 16.4 is killing county cricket.

Last edited:

Again you're totally ignoring the reality that they're not bail outs from ECB.It's the counties money held by ECB. Given that Durham regularly supply players to the England team and so arguably should receive a higher than average share of profits gained by England team revenue. It''s Bostock and his like who are the real Luddites.

Again you're totally ignoring the reality that they're not bail outs from ECB.It's the counties money held by ECB. Given that Durham regularly supply players to the England team and so arguably should receive a higher than average share of profits gained by England team revenue. It''s Bostock and his like who are the real Luddites.

Maybe, its not as clear cut as that tho
You mean the ‘bribe’ that came from money the counties already owned*, had stolen from them and then given partially back?

Here M&O, send me £50 via PayPal tonight, then tomorrow I’ll send you back £1.50. Good deal that.

*ECB reserves.

The 16.4 certainly isn’t the solution, it’s the problem. A massive one.

It isn’t being ignored, as our own case proved, it could happen to any county - just look at the debt Yorkshire are in - but FTECB could easily have used their vast reserves to bail us (and any other county) out. They chose not to, instead, they pissed all their reserves up the wall on arguably the worst idea that domestic cricket has ever had forced upon it.

The 16.4 is killing county cricket.

Yeah, again, I dont agree with the 100, or investing money in it. And I am not saying it will sustain counties either, I am just saying people have rose tinted glasses to how things actually were.

Maybe, its not as clear cut as that tho

Yeah, again, I dont agree with the 100, or investing money in it. And I am not saying it will sustain counties either, I am just saying people have rose tinted glasses to how things actually were.
It's also not as grim as Bostock makes out. There's also a conflict of interest with Bostock being a director of a Hundred.Anyway,enough of this,the proper stuff,hopefully, starts for Durham tomorrow.

Back