SA Tour 2019/20

Out of interest how much rand are people taking? Assuming Cape Town and Port Elizabeth will be like most major cities with most places accepting credit cards etc?

So who’s going to this then? See when’s the best time to arrange a pint at the game.

CT days 3&4 and PE days 1&2 here.

Days 1-4 CT for definite. Day 5 depends on (a) whether it gets that far and (b) whether there is likely to be a result. Might swerve if it's likely to be a very short days play too.
Out of interest how much rand are people taking? Assuming Cape Town and Port Elizabeth will be like most major cities with most places accepting credit cards etc?

I'm taking 3700 ZAR out with me. Will top up at a cashpoint with me Clarity card as and when.

I was looking at the KFC website that's near my digs yesterday. Meal deal in there was the equivalent of about £2.50!

Last edited:
Most places I've been, supermarkets, garages, restaurants, mobile shops all take cards.
Only problem has been in the back of beyond with no internet connection. Cash then.
Most places I've been, supermarkets, garages, restaurants, mobile shops all take cards.
Only problem has been in the back of beyond with no internet connection. Cash then.

Credit Cards and South Africa are a bad combination mate.
Skimming the fuckers is rife all over the place.
25 to 30 quids worth of rand should do you per day comfortably.

Looks like is approx £1.70 a pint average
Not currently planning on doing the garden route, right now my plan is to spend more time in Cape Town itself, and then fly over to Port Elizabeth a couple of days before the 3rd test
Trust u have a flight booked for that as there aren’t many
Days 1-4 CT for definite. Day 5 depends on (a) whether it gets that far and (b) whether there is likely to be a result. Might swerve if it's likely to be a very short days play too.

I'm taking 3700 ZAR out with me. Will top up at a cashpoint with me Clarity card as and when.

I was looking at the KFC website that's near my digs yesterday. Meal deal in there was the equivalent of about £2.50!
Eat at Spur mate

Top bait with stacks of choice

Last edited:
Just spoken to the owner of the b and b where I am about credit card fraud.
He agrees that it is a big problem, but can be avoided using common sense.
He pays with a c card in big supermarkets but not corner shops.
Doesn't let anyone wander off with it, and for example in restaurants insists y they bring the machine to him.

As regards ATMs, Google if for SA.
But in a nutshell, use the ATMs inside a bank.
Also if anyone is hovering nearby, just walk away and go somewhere else.
Happy travels
Also, I will have at least one, maybe two tickets for CT day1.
I would rather someone off here uses them, rather than selling to random strangers.

I just want face, approx 200 rand, and can meet on the morning of day 1, as we are driving in from Stellenbosch.
They are worth £100s on the black market, but I just want genuine fans to get them.
Pm me if interested.

Last edited:
For anyone with spare time today or bored wives you could do a wine tasting.
One of the reasons is the weather.
It is a hot and sunny 29 here in Stellenbosch, but weather forecast puts it at about and cloudy 21 -22 in CT.

Loads and loads of wineries.
For example at Warwick yesterday, a sharing plate was 195 and wine was 80 a bottle.

Uber from CT is quoted at +/- £30 o/w.

I know, plenty of things to do in CT, so just a thought...

For anyone with spare time today or bored wives you could do a wine tasting.
One of the reasons is the weather.
It is a hot and sunny 29 here in Stellenbosch, but weather forecast puts it at about and cloudy 21 -22 in CT.

Loads and loads of wineries.
For example at Warwick yesterday, a sharing plate was 195 and wine was 80 a bottle.

Uber from CT is quoted at +/- £30 o/w.

I know, plenty of things to do in CT, so just a thought...

I'm up the mountain today. Not a great wine drinker/fan.
CT looks a decent destination on first impressions. V&A Waterfront was decent last night. Pay a bit extra for stuff but you're guaranteed a hassle-free night. Trying Long Street this evening (thought I was walking down it yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed, but it turns out I was in the wrong street).

Lost me Durham CCC cap last night. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm up the mountain today. Not a great wine drinker/fan.
CT looks a decent destination on first impressions. V&A Waterfront was decent last night. Pay a bit extra for stuff but you're guaranteed a hassle-free night. Trying Long Street this evening (thought I was walking down it yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed, but it turns out I was in the wrong street).

Lost me Durham CCC cap last night. :rolleyes:
Nor me, but she's not a big cricket fan and it is between tests, so worth a visit.

TBF, there are some fantastic restaurants here, so worth a go.

Will probably miss one morning session if the weather looks good, to go up the mountain.

Let us know what time you went and how big the queues were.

Nor me, but she's not a big cricket fan and it is between tests, so worth a visit.

Will probably miss one morning session if the weather looks good, to go up the mountain.

Had a change of plan cos the top was covered in cloud. Went to see the penguins in Simons Town instead. Table Mountain ticket is valid for 8 days so will probably go up after the cricket now.

Went yesterday afternoon and queues were an hour and a half. Fantastic experience though

Was in the Dubliner on Long Street last neet which was a canny bar tbf. Got accosted by a lady of the night anarl on me way home. A 1000 rand gets you a good time out here apparently but I didn't hang around to find out.

Back