SA Tour 2019/20

Looked and sounded a great day to go to today.

Was that your flag on a railing at the front of the Oaks grass Bank Paddy?

Yeah.

I was gutted I just missed a train back to CT and saw the next one wasn't for over an hour. Went in the Springbok next door to wait and when I went back to the station found the the next one had been cancelled and there wasn't another for two hours. Three hours between trains is a joke. Ended up tagging along with a Sunderland fan to a bar in the Newlands suburb and then he kindly let me share his Uber home.

A word of warning, the bars in the ground shut well before the close of play and the Springbok bar gets rammed after the game.

Last edited:
It wasn't the Forester's Arms aka Forries was it ?

We were in there last night, two minutes walk from where we are staying.

It wasn't the Forester's Arms aka Forries was it ?

We were in there last night, two minutes walk from where we are staying.

Nah, was Barristers down the road. Tried the Slug and Lettuce but it was shut/closed down. We met a random Saffer who bizarrely was a MLF with no connections to the area but has never been to see us play. We were giving him the lowdown and told him to join up here.

Yeah.

I was gutted I just missed a train back to CT and saw the next one wasn't for over an hour. Went in the Springbok next door to wait and when I went back to the station found the the next one had been cancelled and there wasn't another for two hours. Three hours between trains is a joke. Ended up tagging along with a Sunderland fan to a bar in the Newlands suburb and then he kindly let me share his Uber home.

A word of warning, the bars in the ground shut well before the close of play and the Springbok bar gets rammed after the game.

I’ve just downloaded Bolt as it’s apparently a local alternative to Uber. Just gonna suck up a £20 taxi there tomorrow rather than do the train after your experience.

At the risk of getting all TripAdvisor are SIM cards sold in many places over there? We land at 2240 tonight and I’m guessing the shops in the airport will be shut at that point...

Yeah.

Try the Cuban Bar mate or it’s a short walk to the newlands rugby club bar which is on opp side of the road to the rugger ground

Just been through that Greenmarket Square for the first time. It's like a urban version of the Calais jungle camp. Grim as fuck.

In the Crow Bar on Loop Street now. Cheapest beer I've had outside of Newlands at R30 a pint.

Aye just left.
6 nights in a row.
Proper pub.

Us locals know it as Forries.

Oooh, look at me, I've ingratiated myself on the residents. Bet they were well impressed when I fell through the door pissed up 👍 😂
Aye just left.
6 nights in a row.
Proper pub.

Us locals know it as Forries.

Oooh, look at me, I've ingratiated myself on the residents. Bet they were well impressed when I fell through the door pissed up 👍 😂

Last edited:

Not exactly marra.

Although the bloke who ordered two Ubers for you, was a bit puzzled when you then insisted on jumping into a gypsy cab instead.

The next day, he did express concern, asking if you got home ok!

Not exactly marra.

Although the bloke who ordered two Ubers for you, was a bit puzzled when you then insisted on jumping into a gypsy cab instead.

The next day, he did express concern, asking if you got home ok!

I'm like Dean Martin mate, I just pretend I'm drunk for comedic effect. 😉

I'm like Dean Martin mate, I just pretend I'm drunk for comedic effect. 😉
You did a canny impression.

Uber would have been 84.

Gypsy cab man asked for 100.

You showed him all the money you had in your wallet and said you'd give him 120.

At which point I took a photo of his number plate.

And off you went into the night.

🚗🚗🚗

Last edited:
Just got home after a 29 hour journey from start to finish. Great 10 days. Thanks to all on here who contributed to that.

Don't think I've ever been anywhere close to South Africa for such a huge gap between the rich and the utterly destitute or anywhere quite so edgy in places.

Next tour will probably be Netherlands next year for me.

Back