Ryder Cup 2023

Thomas was always going to get a pick and rightfully so. I would have been much happier as a European fan if he wasn't on their team.

Sam Burns is the one I can't understand.

Thomas was always going to get a pick and rightfully so. I would have been much happier as a European fan if he wasn't on their team.

Sam Burns is the one I can't understand.
Matchplay champion, best friends with the best player on the USA team, and a pretty good player in his own rights.

I can see it tbf, although i think a Finau or Cam Young pick would have been equally as understandable.

Finau very unlucky, 4 wins in year
And half.

Thought they would get keegan Bradley in, he’s a right shithouse in the Ryder cup (in a good way for the US team) pleased he’s not in.

I know JT record mint but last 6 months he’s been rank, I think he‘s a tad lucky All said and done.
Even poulter got left out back in 16

Matchplay champion, best friends with the best player on the USA team, and a pretty good player in his own rights.

I can see it tbf, although i think a Finau or Cam Young pick would have been equally as understandable.
The Matchplay was back in March and he's only had one top ten since then.

Just hasn't shown the form for me Anne doesn't have the pedigree of Thomas to overlook that.

Where's it at?
Ffs 😂. Marco Simone. Italy. Last weekend in September.

Just hasn't shown the form for me Anne doesn't have the pedigree of Thomas to overlook that.
6 top 20’s and 2 top tens since the dell. Tbf other top ten will be tour championship this weekend. ?

Last edited:

Fair play, I wouldn't necessarily agree but each to their own.

Who'd you have in ahead of him? Is there anybody in particularly scintillating form over the same time period?

Ffs 😂. Marco Simone. Italy. Last weekend in September.

6 top 20’s and 2 top tens since the dell. Tbf other top ten will be tour championship this weekend. ?
I've totally discounted the shambles that is the Tour Championship. ;)
Fair play, I wouldn't necessarily agree but each to their own.

Who'd you have in ahead of him? Is there anybody in particularly scintillating form over the same time period?
The two obvious ones on form are Lucas Glover and Russell Henly. But then you have the argument as to whether they are actually better players than Sam Burns.

It's a tough one for sure but if it was me I'm not sure I'd give as much weight to the fact someone is best mates with Scottie Scheffler.

Last edited:
I've totally discounted the shambles that is the Tour Championship. ;)

The two obvious ones on form are Lucas Glover and Russell Henly. But then you have the argument as to whether they are actually better players than Sam Burns.

It's a tough one for sure but if it was me I'm not sure I'd give as much weight to the fact someone is best mates with Scottie Scheffler.
I think Sam Burns is in a different league entirely, talent-wise, than Lucas Glover and Russel Henley. Especially, as a European fan, I'd love for Russell Henley to be standing over a clutch shot in a key moment in matchplay. I hate 'bottler' narrative but he clearly struggles to see big moments out.

I'd understand the Finau or Cam Young debate with Sam Burns, but they're really the only two who've been left out who is in the same area as him ability wise, in my humble opinion.

I also think that personality does play a bigger part that many would think - it's why Patrick Reed or Bryson would never get a captains pick (despite being clearly good golfers, and Reed always being a good fit for Euro courses), and why Justin Thomas has despite being in terrible form. They're very popular with the group, something that has often tripped up the American teams it seems.

I think Sam Burns is in a different league entirely, talent-wise, than Lucas Glover and Russel Henley. Especially, as a European fan, I'd love for Russell Henley to be standing over a clutch shot in a key moment in matchplay. I hate 'bottler' narrative but he clearly struggles to see big moments out.

I'd understand the Finau or Cam Young debate with Sam Burns, but they're really the only two who've been left out who is in the same area as him ability wise, in my humble opinion.

I also think that personality does play a bigger part that many would think - it's why Patrick Reed or Bryson would never get a captains pick (despite being clearly good golfers, and Reed always being a good fit for Euro courses), and why Justin Thomas has despite being in terrible form. They're very popular with the group, something that has often tripped up the American teams it seems.
Totally get that but I do think you may be overestimating Burns' talent levels and I am a fan of recent form having a bigger factor when it comes to some of the wildcard picks.

I also think Cam Young is way overhyped. Yes he can drive the ball but his putting is really poor and he's yet to see out a win at the top level.

P.S. Didn't Reed shoot 84 in the last European Ryder Cup? ;)

Totally get that but I do think you may be overestimating Burns' talent levels and I am a fan of recent form having a bigger factor when it comes to some of the wildcard picks.

I also think Cam Young is way overhyped. Yes he can drive the ball but his putting is really poor and he's yet to see out a win at the top level.

I rate Burns quite highly, I think he's the type who'll get a major and be a fixture in the top tier of the rankings for years. Probably Xander/Cantlay level, he wins an awful lot. Certainly better than the likes of Henley and Glover, who I think are solid players but nowt more.

I also think Cam Young is superb - he (somehow) hasn't got over the line yet but his record in Majors and 'tough' tests is second-to-none, and he'll hit a run before long where he just knocks a few wins out. Again, all in my opinion.

As for Reed, I may be wrong :lol: I thought he'd won his singles match in the Euro RC but had a nightmare in pairings because everyone hates him? I was mainly on about how he does alright on Euro Tour but you may be right about the Ryder Cup.

I rate Burns quite highly, I think he's the type who'll get a major and be a fixture in the top tier of the rankings for years. Probably Xander/Cantlay level, he wins an awful lot. Certainly better than the likes of Henley and Glover, who I think are solid players but nowt more.

I also think Cam Young is superb - he (somehow) hasn't got over the line yet but his record in Majors and 'tough' tests is second-to-none, and he'll hit a run before long where he just knocks a few wins out. Again, all in my opinion.

As for Reed, I may be wrong :lol: I thought he'd won his singles match in the Euro RC but had a nightmare in pairings because everyone hates him? I was mainly on about how he does alright on Euro Tour but you may be right about the Ryder Cup.
Young is definitely the better player of the two and has the potential to really break through as one of the top players. I don't necessarily see it with Burns though and can't ever see him being at the level of Cantley who despite being the most boring man in golf is an outstanding player.

I was just joking with Reed but it was one of the four balls when I think he was paired with Tiger where he was absolutely dreadful and supposedly would have shot a massive number.

When you look at he debate we're having here it confirms to me that the US have been hit much harder with the LIV nonsense. You have to think that a couple of the likes of DJ, Bryson, Reed, Gooch, etc would have auto qualified which would have probably made this discussion irrelevant.

Why Ffs? I asked a simple question, you're not obliged to answer if my question irritates you! Thank you anyway.:)
It was the sheer level of cluelessness 😃

It’s Match play Marra ref reed 😉

Bryson was a captains pick in 2018

Last edited:
Young is definitely the better player of the two and has the potential to really break through as one of the top players. I don't necessarily see it with Burns though and can't ever see him being at the level of Cantley who despite being the most boring man in golf is an outstanding player.

I was just joking with Reed but it was one of the four balls when I think he was paired with Tiger where he was absolutely dreadful and supposedly would have shot a massive number.

When you look at he debate we're having here it confirms to me that the US have been hit much harder with the LIV nonsense. You have to think that a couple of the likes of DJ, Bryson, Reed, Gooch, etc would have auto qualified which would have probably made this discussion irrelevant.
You remember right about Reed, he was paired with Tiger who, for once, didn't have a shocker, but Reed was all over the place, with Molinari and Fleetwood their opponents holing everything, they didn't stand a chance. Reed has since said that Tiger apologised to him because of his own performance. Not quite sure how that works.

This US team doesn't have that same feel from 2021, when that was announced there didn't appear to be any weaknesses, this I'm not so sure. I rate Burns, but he's the definition of hot and cold, if he's not on his game, he'll lose 6&5, if he's on it, he could win by the same score. I also think they'll regret not picking Bradley, a proper Ryder Cup player, but his face doesn't seem to fit the team. Hopefully Rickie's record at a European Ryder Cup continues too.

European picks getting announced at 2pm. Team so far:

Rory
Rahm
Fitz
Mcintyre
Hatton
Hovland

I reckon his 6 picks will be:

Tommy
Lowry
Rose
Straka