Royal London One Day Cup

Much has been made of how the ECB have effectively stuck a noose around the throat of this competition, my opinion on the ‘downgrading’ of it hasn’t changed.

I do however think that this may be a good chance of silverware for us this season, or at the very least, a good run in it. Scheduled to take place during the school holidays - starting Sunday 19 July and also clashing with the Franchise Abomination, it gives us a good chance to field probably a pretty near full strength squad whilst many of our opponents will lose players.

One thing I did note however, of our 8 group games, 5 are at outgrounds, with only 1 of our 4 home fixtures scheduled for county HQ. It’s still a disgrace that one of them is at Scarbados, but well played to the club for giving games to South North and Darlington (we travel to Radlett and Tunbridge Wells).

Interesting to note too that we travel to Lincolnshire on Friday 17 July - is this the new knockout competition encompassing minor counties and FC counties? Or merely a ‘benefit’ match?

My feelings on the T20 Blast this year actually are that it’ll be the best one attended yet, throughout the country. Cricket wise, players are trying to put themselves in the shop window for the World Cup - but I think many county followers will see their attendance as an act of defiance against the establishment. After all, for ten of the counties, it’ll be all the more important to turn up in numbers and overshadow what is to follow later on.

Just on the game on the 17th July, every first class county now plays a National County side (previously minor counties) before the RL50 begins. Durham play Lincolnshire, Yorkshire play Northumberland at Jesmond.

Gone a bit early with your preview of the Royal London Cup there! Are you snowed in and bored in South west Durham?

Bored yes. Now the international winter is over, I’m ready for the start of the county season.
The more you think about it, the most insane it gets.

We are world champions in the 50 over format and the year is 2020 and has the 2020 world cup.

So we're abandoning the 50 over format and trying to replace the 2020 competition. :lol:

Yep, in a nutshell there is everything you need to know about whether or not the ECB is fit for purpose.

Last edited:
As last year, Durham will use the RL Cup to introduce the youngsters -it's an ideal stepping stone to bridge the gap between 2nd and 1st team red ball cricket. Hopefully the likes of S.Steel, Bell, Bushnell, Trevaskis, Coughlin J and Cambell will progress through it.
in that respect, downgrading the competition isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:
As last year, Durham will use the RL Cup to introduce the youngsters -it's an ideal stepping stone to bridge the gap between 2nd and 1st team red ball cricket. Hopefully the likes of S.Steel, Bell, Bushnell, Trevaskis, Coughlin J and Cambell will progress through it.
in that respect, downgrading the competition isn't a bad idea.

:eek:

I refer you to Steak’s point.

:eek:

I refer you to Steak’s point.
If Durham choose to use the competition to allow youngsters to adapt 1st level standard then so be it- white ball cricket is the ideal intermediary - transition from 2nd XI to 1st XI red ball is too big a transition to make it one step imo.
They did it last year when the competition hadn't been downgraded.

Back