Royal Autopsy With Professor Alice Roberts

Most of the professors I know or encounter refer to themselves like this. It's largely an ego thing, but it's the convention and it's fair enough IMHO. It's also programme makers marketing the presenter as an expert.

I enjoyed a couple of these yesterday, they seem to give the poor fuckers everything possible, before saying "this probably didn't kill him/her" but one assumes they've based their diagnoses on some sort of historical reference. Elizabeth I's ring having had to be cut off leaving deep wound and giving her sepsis, and having an infected lump on her glands, George IV having a leaky calcified heart and fluid on his chest cavity for example.

The prosthetics are incredible!

Professor Alice May Roberts FRSB Anatomist and Biological Anthropologist

And also former President of Humanists UK

IT's not clear from the Tapestry if the man with the arrow in his eye is Harold or if its is the man picture being cut down by Norman knights next ti him. Add to that there is some evidence that that arrow was added to the tapestry quite some years after it had been embroidered.

Further to that in the accounts of the Battle of Stamford which Harold Goodwinson had fought against an invading Viking army only a couple of weeks before Hastings it is recorded that the viking leader king Harold Hardrada was kill by and arrow to the eye. It's a bit of a coincidence having two kings called Harold being killed in battle a few miles apart & within days of one another and both by an arrow to the eye,

I think the arrow story is very unlikely and was meant as a symbolic death - the victim having his eye struck out by the hand of God, It was meant to demonstrate that Harold Godwinson was unfit to be King as he had broken the holy oath that he allegedly made to William and that William therefore had God'd approval.
It must be true. Hastings Uniteds nickname is The Arrows!

It must be true. Hastings Uniteds nickname is The Arrows!
Not only did the battle between the Normans and Anglo Saxons not take place in Hastings it's also unlikely that it even took place at the taditional site in Battle just up the road.

In almost 1000 years not a single artifact that could be attributed to the battle of Hastings has ever been discovered in or around Battle itself- not even an arrowhead. So If Harold had indeed been shot in the eye with an arrow its seems that the Normans collected up all the others that they had used.

The most likely location of the battle is around the village of Crowhurst which is between Hastings and Battle but having spent millons of pounds on a visitors centre in Battle the historical establishment led by English English Heritage just don't want to know about it.

Not only did the battle between the Normans and Anglo Saxons not take place in Hastings it's also unlikely that it even took place at the taditional site in Battle just up the road.

In almost 1000 years not a single artifact that could be attributed to the battle of Hastings has ever been discovered in or around Battle itself- not even an arrowhead. So If Harold had indeed been shot in the eye with an arrow its seems that the Normans collected up all the others that they had used.

The most likely location of the battle is around the village of Crowhurst which is between Hastings and Battle but having spent millons of pounds on a visitors centre in Battle the historical establishment led by English English Heritage just don't want to know about it.
Tony Robinsons TV prog Time Team iirc reckoned it was on the hill of the main road leading into Battle coming from the south. This was more to my way of thinking when I visited it and got the headphones on to stroll around.
It’s also a helluva way in from the coast by whatever transport they had back then especially when you consider they’d brought their own mini forts with them and erected them on the beach for protection which also isn’t even Hastings beach. If they’d gotten a good kicking it’s one helluva race back to the beach for the survivors to get to their boats and safety.
Put me down as a non believer anarl.

Tony Robinsons TV prog Time Team iirc reckoned it was on the hill of the main road leading into Battle coming from the south. This was more to my way of thinking when I visited it and got the headphones on to stroll around.
It’s also a helluva way in from the coast by whatever transport they had back then especially when you consider they’d brought their own mini forts with them and erected them on the beach for protection which also isn’t even Hastings beach. If they’d gotten a good kicking it’s one helluva race back to the beach for the survivors to get to their boats and safety.
Put me down as a non believer anarl.
That's the point a 1000 years ago the battlefield wasn't a long way from the coast. The land to the west of Hastings was open to the sea and there was a huge tidal inlet covering what is now mostly the Combe Valley Countryside Park. The inlet extended almost as far north as Crowhurst and it enabled William to bring his fleet well inland.

Check out Google maps you can see that even today the land is flat and marshy with a drainage ditch system in the noth east corner. What used to be the opening to the sea can still be identified and is now the beach in front of the A259 west of Bulverhythe. Despite all of his planning (prefabricated forts etc) its ridiculous how all of the history books suggest that the Norman invasion fleet simply pulled ashore on some random bit of beach in the south east. William had done his homework and he knew exactly where he was going & where its was safe to land. The Norman invasion of England had been on their "To do" list for 50 years.

Small bands of Normans had been all over the South of England for years before their invasion. They came at the invitation of King Edward (The Confesssor) who's mother was Norman and who had grown up in Normandy. In 1051 one group (with Edwards backing) had even chanced their arm at taking over the port of Dover while they were over here but they had been kicked out by Harold Godwinson's dad who was then sent in to exile by Edward for doing so. I am afraid that Edward the Confessor was as loyal an English king as the Duke of Windsor was. No wonder that after his death the Normans saw to it that he was made a Saint - Saint? My arse those who knew him would think it was a bad joke..

The Time Team programme was an absolute joke and actually claimed (with a straight face) that Harold had made his stand on the A2000 roundabout at the top of Battle High Street. They made that claim purely on the basis that the terraine looked right and they produced no archeological evidence to support it. That's because there is absolutely none to be found in Batttle despite 1000 years of people digging foundations for the building - trenches for drains and sewers and building all the road system around the town, Even the locals just digging in their gardens and the local farmers have come up with nothing. Even English Heritage has had to admit that bugger all has been found on what it insists is the actual battlefield just south of Battle Priory. One excuse is that after nearly 1000 years there isn't anything left to find and that's depite a viking war grave and artifacts been found along the river Derwent dating from the Battle of Stanford Bridge that had taken place only a few days before Hastings.

That's the point a 1000 years ago the battlefield wasn't a long way from the coast. The land to the west of Hastings was open to the sea and there was a huge tidal inlet covering what is now mostly the Combe Valley Countryside Park. The inlet extended almost as far north as Crowhurst and it enabled William to bring his fleet well inland.

Check out Google maps you can see that even today the land is flat and marshy with a drainage ditch system in the noth east corner. What used to be the opening to the sea can still be identified and is now the beach in front of the A259 west of Bulverhythe. Despite all of his planning (prefabricated forts etc) its ridiculous how all of the history books suggest that the Norman invasion fleet simply pulled ashore on some random bit of beach in the south east. William had done his homework and he knew exactly where he was going & where its was safe to land. The Norman invasion of England had been on their "To do" list for 50 years.

Small bands of Normans had been all over the South of England for years before their invasion. They came at the invitation of King Edward (The Confesssor) who's mother was Norman and who had grown up in Normandy. In 1051 one group (with Edwards backing) had even chanced their arm at taking over the port of Dover while they were over here but they had been kicked out by Harold Godwinson's dad who was then sent in to exile by Edward for doing so. I am afraid that Edward the Confessor was as loyal an English king as the Duke of Windsor was. No wonder that after his death the Normans saw to it that he was made a Saint - Saint? My arse those who knew him would think it was a bad joke..

The Time Team programme was an absolute joke and actually claimed (with a straight face) that Harold had made his stand on the A2000 roundabout at the top of Battle High Street. They made that claim purely on the basis that the terraine looked right and they produced no archeological evidence to support it. That's because there is absolutely none to be found in Batttle despite 1000 years of people digging foundations for the building - trenches for drains and sewers and building all the road system around the town, Even the locals just digging in their gardens and the local farmers have come up with nothing. Even English Heritage has had to admit that bugger all has been found on what it insists is the actual battlefield just south of Battle Priory. One excuse is that after nearly 1000 years there isn't anything left to find and that's depite a viking war grave and artifacts been found along the river Derwent dating from the Battle of Stanford Bridge that had taken place only a few days before Hastings.
I like the sound of that mind.

Back