Roy Maurice Keane

Just shows you this thread was started 5 days short of a year ago exactly and we are still no further forward. My resounding opinion then was yes to Keane and it still is. If not him someone with some passion, and similar character to him. We need someone to drag us out this league.

No way will he come unless there is some kind of January budget to buy players good enough to make us more than just another L1 team. Poyet still has the enthusiasm as a football person. Did he actually have an interview last time with the two clowns and turn it down ? I thought there was something in that. Again, can't see any manager whose been used to a higher level, coming to SAFC unless there is a big pot of cash to spend.

What’s with the clamour for Keane every time we sack a manager? He had one good season with us about 15 years ago and has done square root of fuck all in management since. It would be even more of a disaster than Parkinson.

The club is flat right now and Keane would give it an instantaneous lift-crowds would increase and the players would lift their levels immediately.

I understand the concerns of many about his personality traits and his inauspicious reign at Ipswich etc etc but if you brought him in the whole club would just go BOOM!

With events along the road too we need to lift our profile with a manager of substance. One fear is that people like Speakman would probably be scared of appointing such a forceful, independent character.

After recent drab, uninspiring, cheap appointments with CV’s that mean they should never have been considered for the SAFC managers job, decisions need to be made very soon about the direction the club is taking at this present time.

Of course we are still handily placed in league one but recent results and very poor performances are very worrying and when the manager starts to point fingers at supporter pressure, social media and such like for this slump in fortunes then you have to ask questions.

We all want him to get it right but it’s nearing decision time. Cambridge away on Saturday and then three home matches within seven days between 4-11th December will hopefully change the whole picture but many more performances like last night and other very recent ones at Rotherham, Sheff Wed and at home to Charlton will see us in this league for a fifth year-half a decade ffs!

The club is flat right now and Keane would give it an instantaneous lift-crowds would increase and the players would lift their levels immediately.

!
He wouldn’t give me a lift, and I’m not sure he would have the same impact on the players anymore now - he’s been retired since before Dan Neil started school and hasn’t had a management job in 10 years.

A Keane-like appointment would be welcome, but there’s no way Keane would have anywhere near the impact now as he did in 2006. John Terry is probably the closest there is to a player in a similar situation now to what Keane was when we got him.

Roy Keane struggled to deal with a Premier league squad who didn't meet his standards.

There is no way he would be interested in coming to a league 1 team with a squad that lacks any backbone or fight.

As much as I would love to see him come back he wouldn't last 2 minutes before he imploded

He wouldn’t give me a lift, and I’m not sure he would have the same impact on the players anymore now - he’s been retired since before Dan Neil started school and hasn’t had a management job in 10 years.

A Keane-like appointment would be welcome, but there’s no way Keane would have anywhere near the impact now as he did in 2006. John Terry is probably the closest there is to a player in a similar situation now to what Keane was when we got him.
All about opinions mate. I don’t honestly know if he’d be the answer but he would give it everything and he did well overall last time, his weaknesses being relying on an inexperienced and unproven number two in Loughlan and a lack of vision in the transfer market.

Bottom line right now is the club have to analyse recent results and performances, look at how our early season league position has been eaten away, and forensically analyse the managers post match comments of late as they show a lack of awareness and our slump seems to be everyone’s fault but his. I’ve heard it alleged too that a core of the squad perceive him as a bullshitter and don’t fully believe in him and think he over complicates things.

The whole picture could change with Cambridge away and the three home games in a week but for a long time now when we have this type of fixture list coming up we fail to capitalise on it.

Definitely nearing decision time about our current direction. We fell away badly last season and just can’t afford to let it slip away again.

Last edited:
I'd still take the risk.
Nothing to lose.
I like the guy ... I hope he's not finished
But for whatever reason ...hes never accepted a decent lead management role since Ipswich.... thats risk increases with every year out the game

Hes become an alan curbishly figure

Back