Rowing Machine Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

Just bought a rowing machine to try and improve my fitness. Also eating a much more healthy diet; more salad and fruit. I don't drink and I've stopped getting takeaways.

Anyone recommend any goals I can work towards to help me lose a bit weight, gain fitness and tone up? Only problem is my machine doesn't display distance travelled so it will have to be based on reps done and not metres travelled.

Just bought a rowing machine to try and improve my fitness. Also eating a much more healthy diet; more salad and fruit. I don't drink and I've stopped getting takeaways.

Anyone recommend any goals I can work towards to help me lose a bit weight, gain fitness and tone up? Only problem is my machine doesn't display distance travelled so it will have to be based on reps done and not metres travelled.

Time it. Has it got an option to increase resistance? Start off doing say 10 or 15 minutes (nee idea how fit you are) and throw in 6-8 30 second sprints. When it starts getting easier increase the time of each sprint but reduce it to 3-4 sprints.

2000 meters in 8 minuets is a good one to reach for.

I'm pretty sure it 2000 i used to do. Your strength can have a lot to do with it as well, I used to struggle before when i was fitter. Now I'm stronger and less fit I can manage it every time (at a real push)

hmmm a rower without a measure of distance?

I can't remember how many strokes per minute i was doing (haven't rowed in a long time)

I used to do 1 minute all out, 2 minutes steady, 1 minute all out, 2 min stead ......Used to do 20 minutes a night.

I'm pretty sure it 2000 i used to do. Your strength can have a lot to do with it as well, I used to struggle before when i was fitter. Now I'm stronger and less fit I can manage it every time (at a real push)

sorry just read your last sentence. ha. just smash it.

hmmm a rower without a measure of distance?

I can't remember how many strokes per minute i was doing (haven't rowed in a long time)

I used to do 1 minute all out, 2 minutes steady, 1 minute all out, 2 min stead ......Used to do 20 minutes a night.

I can't believe they manufacture rowing machines without a distance counter :confused:

I used to do a combination of both of the above, 2000 metres to start and then at every 500mts I'd go all out for 200mts, so first "all out" was at 1500mts, then 1000mts, then 500mts.

I couldn't believe it had no distance measure. It wasn't cheap either. I'm about 5” 10', is there a rough way to figure out distance travelled by stroke?

I couldn't believe it had no distance measure. It wasn't cheap either. I'm about 5” 10', is there a rough way to figure out distance travelled by stroke?

In real rowing there is an element of glide/movement through the water on the return stroke depending on the power you put into the pull stroke and the machine replicates this, so I'm not sure it's as easy as measuring the amount of chain pulled away from it's source to your maximum extension but for a "rough" guide I'm sure that'll work as a guide for improvement measurement.

In real rowing there is an element of glide/movement through the water on the return stroke depending on the power you put into the pull stroke and the machine replicates this, so I'm not sure it's as easy as measuring the amount of chain pulled away from it's source to your maximum extension but for a "rough" guide I'm sure that'll work as a guide for improvement measurement.

Aye, I was a bit gutted that there was no distance counter, that's always what I've used in the past to measure my progress. Hey ho, I guess, though.

no chance. Is a distance gauge not an optional extra you can buy?

Distance vs time tends to be the way to measure performance and progress on a rower so without it, its gonna be hard to set yourself goals. More strokes per minute doesn't equal a better workout with rowing.

The yard sticks tend to be 500m
2000m
5000m

i do 5 x 500m best effort with 90 secs recovery inbetween sets at the end of a weights session. absolute killer of a session if you keep it under 1min 40 sec each go

i do 5 x 500m best effort with 90 secs recovery inbetween sets at the end of a weights session. absolute killer of a session if you keep it under 1min 40 sec each go
fuck me that would be hard. My PB for a 500m sprint is 1.24 but my time used to drop to about 1.50 per 500m when doing a 5k.

Wow.

I warm up with 1000m at a decent pace, then 10 x 100m as fast as I can with 20 seconds rest between each 100m.

I train with my mate who's 6' 6" which gives him a slight advantage at rowing over me at 6' 0" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back