Roker's Paddock boo boys

First season Hardyman was popular, taking pens and getting stuck in, especially so in quite a nasty way - he got no shit at all.

His career stalled after that here, but I always felt he was more popular than his ability warranted.

He was generally played before Brady got near the 1st team.
The worst one I recall was around Butchers time with Richard Ord. He'd been playing reasonably well at left back, though didn't really have the agility and mobility to play left back and criticism built up and one home game against Wolves it got to the point he was getting absolute dogs abuse, with frustrations of our situation at the time and inability to score in that game almost entirely aimed towards him.

Was one of the earliest times when I questioned the motives and intelligence of our crowd, as there were far poorer and gutless players playing for us at the time.

Almost forgotten now mind as he eventually got back in under Buxton at centre half looking much better, though he wasn't a regular. then Reid brought him in from the cold a while later as soon as he arrived and he turned it around.
I remember Dickie Ord getting dog's abuse at a cup game on a bleak February night (Exeter I think it was). Poor kid was frightened to receive the ball and, like you, I questioned the mentality of our 'support' that night.

Steve Whitworth is still the one who stuck out for me, he even wrote something in the programme about it and it calmed down. I honestly can't remember a player getting so much stick at Roker
Got the programme from my first game. vs Wolves in March 1970. Each week the manager (Alan Brown) wrote an introductory piece first page of the programme.

This particular week it was an appeal to fans to stop the constant haranguing and abuse of Gordon Harris.

Back