Roker Rapport Podcast: With Stewart Donald (Tues 28th May)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got about 45 mins left. Proper edgy the pair of them, some contrast to the podcast 12 months ago.

Probably highlights the strain running a big football club can put on you. Especially when it’s under performing on the pitch.
I read the comments on here and expected them to be arsey, but in my opinion they weren't at all.

Stuart seems genuinely gutted still, which is a good thing. Methven is just the way he has been from the start, I thought they handled it well . And the interviewers did their job too. I really enjoyed listening to it

This. Felt very much that the Grigg line of questioning smacked of an immature supporter wanting answers for why it didn’t work. There are a hundred reasons why it didn’t work, doesn’t mean it won’t work next season.

No employer worth his/her salt would do that in public. Even when Charlie tried to nip it in the bud Graham/Graeme(?) cut over with ‘I have to ask’ or similar. No, no you don’t.

Think he knew he overstepped a mark because he was trying to be pally pally after that and trying to lift the atmosphere with self deprecating jokes and SD and CM we’re having none of it.
The interviewer had to ask the questions. No way he couldn't mention Grigg after everything that's gone on since Jan.

And the owners batted back the best reply they could. All fair enough imho

This is where too much transparency can get awkward. The questioning around Grigg shouldn’t have been asked like that, if I was Donald / Methven I’d have established ground rules before the recording started on shit like that.
but then RR would get accused of pandering. The way it happened and panned out was good for everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

...... he comes prepared with all the soundbites about taking responsibility but I notice when accusations of certain mistakes are put to him, he gets very defensive.

On the Maja episode, it was suggested we might have been better to keep him and let him go on a free now. With hindsight this is obvious but he is unwilling to admit it. Also says it wasn’t a financial decision to let him go in January which is clearly untrue and goes against what he said at the time.

...... he comes prepared with all the soundbites about taking responsibility but I notice when accusations of certain mistakes are put to him, he gets very defensive.

On the Maja episode, it was suggested we might have been better to keep him and let him go on a free now. With hindsight this is obvious but he is unwilling to admit it. Also says it wasn’t a financial decision to let him go in January which is clearly untrue and goes against what he said at the time.
So you didn't listen to the bit where he said he could have handled it better and admitted he made a mistake?

I thought all he said about Maja was that, although we could have kept him, there's no guarantee he'd have been as committed in the second half of the season if he wanted away. That's a fair comment tbh. Aye if he stayed and played as he had been his goals would possibly have got us promoted, but if true that he basically had his suitcase packed before a bid was accepted then you can understand accepting it. He was offered thousands more a week in a top league abroad and probably wouldn't have wanted to do anything to risk an injury which could deny him it. If he'd lacked commitment, or came up with phantom injuries, and we still missed out on promotion Donald would be getting grief for not just taking the money (similar to how most wanted Kone to be kept when Everton bid and now almost everyone says we should have accepted the cash)

Last edited:
So you didn't listen to the bit where he said he could have handled it better and admitted he made a mistake?

No, not yet - I am writing this as I am listening to it and he has just it wasn’t a financial decision to let him go and he doesn’t think he could have done anything to keep him. This was his immediate response when the question was put to him.

Last edited:
I thought all he said about Maja was that, although we could have kept him, there's no guarantee he'd have been as committed in the second half of the season if he wanted away. That's a fair comment tbh. Aye if he stayed and played as he had been his goals would possibly have got us promoted, but if true that he basically had his suitcase packed before a bid was accepted then you can understand accepting it. He was offered thousands more a week in a top league abroad and probably wouldn't have wanted to do anything to risk an injury which could deny him it. If he'd lacked commitment, or came up with phantom injuries, and we still missed out on promotion Donald would be getting grief for not just taking the money (similar to how most wanted Kone to be kept when Everton bid and now almost everyone says we should have accepted the cash)
This except for the bit about Kone. We were right to turn the bid down

It's easy in hindsight to say we should have did this and that. Maja and probably more important his agent wanted to leave. As a manager or owner would you want a player hanging around who didn't want to be there..

No, not yet - I am writing this as I am listening to it and he has just it wasn’t a financial decision to let him go and he doesn’t think he could have done anything to keep him. This was his immediate response when the question was put to him.

You should probably listen to all of it first mate.

Doesn't he say that he laid awake at night wondering what would have happened if we had kept Maja or was that a different topic?

I read the comments on here and expected them to be arsey, but in my opinion they weren't at all.

Stuart seems genuinely gutted still, which is a good thing. Methven is just the way he has been from the start, I thought they handled it well . And the interviewers did their job too. I really enjoyed listening to it

The interviewer had to ask the questions. No way he couldn't mention Grigg after everything that's gone on since Jan.

And the owners batted back the best reply they could. All fair enough imho

but then RR would get accused of pandering. The way it happened and panned out was good for everyone

Some might interpret it as arsey, as I said before they sounded edgy for me and definitely a much different tone to last summer. Interesting few weeks coming up again in our clubs history it seems.

Listened today, first time I could face it after the play offs.

I thought it was really good. Insightful and sincere, how anyone can question if they care about SAFC is beyond me.

I liked that there was an emphasis on not making too many excuses and ensuring next year we don't fall short. I also appreciated that they don't pay too much attention to the more reactionary element of our support. They seem measured and proactive.

I feel optimistic, despite the obvious disappointment of not going up first time. 100 pts and some big scorelines next season would see us back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back