RR Roker Ramble: "Standing in the Roker End was genuinely terrifying - I'll sit, thanks!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

In today's Ramble: Russia’s dreadful attempts at cheating; FIFA forced to release banned document; will there be a £100 million player in this transfer window? And why you won't catch me standing at games. The Russians have had a bit of a bad press of late, what with state-sponsored terrorism, computer-hacking, invading neighbouring countries,...

More at Roker Report...

Standing in the crowd at the Roker End as a kid and experiencing the uncontrolled helplessness of being in a huge mass of moving people was genuinely terrifying; nothing I’ve experienced since has changed my mind. Those who want to stand – great, fill your boots, I’ll have a nice seat, jump up and down in a controlled fashion if and when appropriate, and if someone can bring a cold beer to my seat in the meantime then I’ll be in heaven.

:?::?::?:

Plenty of bairns stood on terracing. In the olden days you'd have been hoyed over people's heads until you reached the front.

Watch at about 1 mins, loads of kids at the front.

The old Roker End was great although a long walk up and down the stairs.
For some reason when they reduced the height it seemed to be a lot colder.

Modern day rail seating is absolutely nothing like the terraces of old. You can't be swayed by the crowd or pile forwards. It's much safer than standing up in your current seat.

It's like banging your head off a brick wall trying to explain this to some.
They dont want to know. Gives them something to bleat about

Plenty of bairns stood on terracing. In the olden days you'd have been hoyed over people's heads until you reached the front.

Watch at about 1 mins, loads of kids at the front.

This^^^
The crowd was especially mad that day, and it is great to see the Roker End in it's full glory. I never felt in any danger at Roker Park, but I was savvy enough to get there early and stand in front of a crush barrier.
I love that clip because I can see myself (at 1.27) part-way up the east floodlight in the Fulwell end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back