Roker pier lighthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went in the tunnel in the 80s when the wooden hut was at the entrance....bloody creepy.

Me too, must’ve been 1983 ish. Few of us met up in Bellerbys and decided to do the deed. I lived nearest so was dispatched home to get a torch. Broke in, walked the whole length scaring the shit out of each other. On the return journey there was REAL cause for concern as we heard voices echoing along the tunnel from the entrance. Turned out to be two coppers.

The old biddy (Greta was her name, I found out years later) that lived in the cottages had rung them. Funny thing was, all the rest of the clientele from Bellerby’s had left the arcade and were sat on the wall waiting to see us emerge and get arrested. Which is exactly what happened.

Filled up the van and we got took round to the river police office, sited where the Marine Activities Centre is now. One by one, everyone’s parents came down and kicked off in varying degrees with their sons. My mother chose to wait and wait to teach me a f***ing lesson coz I thought I was gonna get a hiding.

Anyway, she came down all chilled out and started flirting with the coppers. She thought the whole thing was f***ing hilarious. Happy innocent days, eh?

Bill Bellerby still reminds me of the loss of revenue from that summer evening!

Walk half a mile through a dark tunnel to be greeted in the lighthouse by an overwhelming smell of piss from the door thanks to the horrible lazy fishermen :rolleyes:
You would think the council would put a bog on it like they used to use in some shipyards. Basically a u shaped metal unit and the piss gans straight into the briney. Job done. Nee smell !!

You would think the council would put a bog on it like they used to use in some shipyards. Basically a u shaped metal unit and the piss gans straight into the briney. Job done. Nee smell !!

Or they could just have a piss over the side if no ones there or go down the steps and piss into the bay.

Is this from today?

Fantastic view that. Looking forward to more pics
it was aye. The tunnel was flooded today on account of a big tide, so could only get three quarters of the way along. the lighthouse is utterly class. The view from the top is breathtaking. When i find my card reader, I’ll put some pics up.

oh, and there was a 79 year old little lady on our tour there on her birthday. She went up the ladders to the top of the lighthouse like they weren’t there :cool:

it was aye. The tunnel was flooded today on account of a big tide, so could only get three quarters of the way along. the lighthouse is utterly class. The view from the top is breathtaking. When i find my card reader, I’ll put some pics up.

oh, and there was a 79 year old little lady on our tour there on her birthday. She went up the ladders to the top of the lighthouse like they weren’t there :cool:
Excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back