Roker park crest

No matter how many layers of paint I put on mine as a base, I could never get the rock-hard, stiff as a board, high-gloss finish that the school's metal and punk lovers could achieve.

The haversack is maybe due a renaissance.
Went to school with a Farmers son whilst we all had bands or footie teams on ours he had a fantastic painting of a Case tractor his Dad had on his!

If I remember rightly they changed the badge from 6 colours to 3 because it was a lot simpler and cheaper to embroid.

No matter how many layers of paint I put on mine as a base, I could never get the rock-hard, stiff as a board, high-gloss finish that the school's metal and punk lovers could achieve.

The haversack is maybe due a renaissance.
Thin Lizzy logo on mine circa 1979 replaced by Rush hemispheres 1981 ish

Wonder what ever happened to this one from the old players entrance. Was it sold at the auction? Maybe Sir Bob has it above his mantelpiece.
Seems a lot more like our current crest but was it ever used on our shirts? I can only recall a crest being used from the 1980’s and that was the ship one.

Logon or register to see this image

Wonder what ever happened to this one from the old players entrance. Was it sold at the auction? Maybe Sir Bob has it above his mantelpiece.
Seems a lot more like our current crest but was it ever used on our shirts? I can only recall a crest being used from the 1980’s and that was the ship one.

That brings back some memories, waiting about for the players, gold card getting drilled when buying tickets and more than anything else the queues for cup semis and finals and all the banter that came with it. Really miss Roker Park to this day, I left my heart at Roker Park.

I remember my 1997 sticker book calling us that.
Think I had a cap around the same time with "Rokermen" on

No wonder Bob Murray pretended we didn't have a nickname after leaving Roker.

Lad on this thread bought it for £50.
I'd been saying it should have been put in the SoL entrance (on a red background). As per usual club was a bit of a shambles for the move - from allowing a non-footballing head name the streets built on Roker Park, to dumping the latice work in the car park - they even gave the new ground a crappy name. All hail Sir Bob Murray.

Last edited:
I remember my 1997 sticker book calling us that.
Think I had a cap around the same time with "Rokermen" on

No wonder Bob Murray pretended we didn't have a nickname after leaving Roker.

Lad on this thread bought it for £50.
I'd been saying it should have been put in the SoL entrance (on a red background). As per usual club was a bit of a shambles for the move - from allowing a non-footballing head name the streets built on Roker Park, to dumping the latice work in the car park - they even gave the new ground a crappy name. All hail Sir Bob Murray.
Yeah, it all seemed a bit short-sighted and I think Bob was over enamored with himself and the new stadium…to the point of disregarding our heritage. There are loads of elements of Roker that could have been incorporated in some way. Instead we had a firesale and anything we couldn’t shift was shoved somewhere without much thought.

What happened to the clockstand clock? Is that around the new stadium?

Yeah, it all seemed a bit short-sighted and I think Bob was over enamored with himself and the new stadium…to the point of disregarding our heritage. There are loads of elements of Roker that could have been incorporated in some way. Instead we had a firesale and anything we couldn’t shift was shoved somewhere without much thought.

What happened to the clockstand clock? Is that around the new stadium?
Definitely. Would have given the ground so much more chsracter

No idea where the clock is. They could have even put it one of the concourses or something. Wasn't a great clock to be fair, I think the old one looked more ornate, before they put the tv cameras etc up there.
I do think the east strand should have some sort of similar feature though. A good looking clock and a flag or something - and renamed the Clock Stand.

Last edited:
It appears after some research the score draw modern release shirts have a yellow wave from 88-1991 but the original hummel ones I've found online have a white wave.
Score Draw badges are all wonky on the 81-83 remakes.

Hummel went cheap from 91-94 with a 3 colour badge.

Score Draw badges are all wonky on the 81-83 remakes.

Hummel went cheap from 91-94 with a 3 colour badge.

I think that was a club decision - all the club merch, club material etc all featured the three colour badge back then. It’s been mentioned on here that Murray made the decision as a nod to the shipyards being closed.

Ironically when the ship badge was introduced in 72/73 season, it was the three colour version that was printed on the programmes - probably due to cost

It wasn't included in the auction and I asked about it when I went to Roker to enquire about my SOL season ticket.
I was told that the club had forgotten to put in the auction and i bought it for £50 + £20 to the auctioneers assistant to get it down.
I still have it in a glass case on my office wall.
Chuck a photo up? Would love to see that. :)

I thought the way Arsenal handled their heritage in their move to the Emirates was great - replicating the shape of Highbury for the bridge into the ground, putting the massive version of the old clock at the top of the stand, the murals of the legends and all that.

Would be great to see some more of our history being highlighted in the coming SOL refurbishment.

That blokes face just sums up life following us.

Definitely. Would have given the ground so much more chsracter

No idea where the clock is. They could have even put it one of the concourses or something. Wasn't a great clock to be fair, I think the old one looked more ornate, before they put the tv cameras etc up there.
I do think the east strand should have some sort of similar feature though. A good looking clock and a flag or something - and renamed the Clock Stand.
Did the clock not end up in Quinn's bar?

Chuck a photo up? Would love to see that. :)

I thought the way Arsenal handled their heritage in their move to the Emirates was great - replicating the shape of Highbury for the bridge into the ground, putting the massive version of the old clock at the top of the stand, the murals of the legends and all that.

Would be great to see some more of our history being highlighted in the coming SOL refurbishment.
Sunderland fan museum seem to be carrying that flag. The club could have done with there own version of that in something the size of the club store at least as part of the tour or even for match days for a nominal fee. Our history means nothing to the current owners sadly and that's due to it being passed down like that from owner to owner.

On the flip side can't really blame Murray to much for wanting to create a new history away from the cold wet tired roker park. it's like taking your inherited nans faux mahogany chipped dining room table and putting it pride of place in your new build town house.

Back