Robin Smith

Currently reading his recently released autobiography, a very good read so far.

Watched lots of it in the mid-90's when I was getting into cricket and always remember him getting a right going over by the WIndies quicks but him being as brave as a lion in the face of the barrage.

What's peoples memories of him? Discarded at 32 averaging over 40 in test cricket in a mediocre side seems harsh. Yes he has issues against spin but I think he averaged nearly 50 in ODI's in the sub-continent which suggests he wasn't all at sea as some made out at the time. He only really struggled with Warne and Mushtaq but certainly in case of the latter, who didn't?

Best cutter of a ball - Also getting a going over from the windies back in their pomp and him not backing down - suppose to a young kid like me back then I thought he was hard as fuck.

Watched lots of it in the mid-90's when I was getting into cricket and always remember him getting a right going over by the WIndies quicks but him being as brave as a lion in the face of the barrage.

What's peoples memories of him? Discarded at 32 averaging over 40 in test cricket in a mediocre side seems harsh. Yes he has issues against spin but I think he averaged nearly 50 in ODI's in the sub-continent which suggests he wasn't all at sea as some made out at the time. He only really struggled with Warne and Mushtaq but certainly in case of the latter, who didn't?

The former*

In a recent interview he implied that Alan Lamb's retirement had a big effect in his international performances as they were best mates. Holder of one of the most iconic cricket strokes ever.

Its hard remembering back but I seem to recall his issues against spin being so bad that it began to effect his overall performance and he just seemed devoid of confidence. Put it this way at the time he was dropped it seemed like a mercy dropping and I dont recall any big outcry from anyone about it. Hazy memory though.

A bit hazy too but I remember him being injured, taking time off but then never looking the same. Could be so hazy it's completely off beam though.

I don't think illimgwotth fancied him when he got the so called supremos job with England. Thought he had the yips against spin.

Probably because he wasn't from the region of Pudsey. What was it he said about Craig White in 1994? - fastest bowler in the country and gets a bigger stride in than anyone when batting :lol:
Its hard remembering back but I seem to recall his issues against spin being so bad that it began to effect his overall performance and he just seemed devoid of confidence. Put it this way at the time he was dropped it seemed like a mercy dropping and I dont recall any big outcry from anyone about it. Hazy memory though.

He accepts himself that Warne definitely spooked him and his lack of ability against spin was his shortfall. I think at the time of his omission there were question marks over his lifestyle away from the game. Always recall him inviting Doug Insole (Tour Manager) in for a cuppa when he was still completely pissed after a heavy night - Insole was only knocking on his hotel door as Smith was an hour late for the tour game :lol:

Last edited:
Probably because he wasn't from the region of Pudsey. What was it he said about Craig White in 1994? - fastest bowler in the country and gets a bigger stride in than anyone when batting :lol:

He accepts himself that Warne definitely spooked him and his lack of ability against spin was his shortfall. I think at the time of his omission there were question marks over his lifestyle away from the game. Always recall him inviting Doug Insole (Tour Manager) in for a cuppa when he was still completely pissed after a heavy night - Insole was only knocking on his hotel door as Smith was an hour late for the tour game :lol:

He was sharp White and I think he would be a good 4th bowler in a better test team. He could reverse it quite well. Not expecting loads of support on this one like :lol:

A pity he played for Hampshire but you can't hold it against him. He had an outstanding tour of the West Indies in 1990, where he and Allan Lamb took the First Test beyond the home side's reach magnificently at Sabina Park.

Back