Rob Key and the Kookaburra ball

Another stat nicked from Twitter... Chris Tremain, top wicket taker in Sheffield Shield this season with 50 wickets @15.90, has figures of 1-176 from the first 2 games with Northants.

As others on here have said, it's no use experimenting with the Kookaburra unless you can replicate the overhead and pitch conditions of the MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval etc
That's because the Shield produced a bunch of green tops and so result wickets.

So unlike anything they'd produce for tests over there.

If you look at the Shield batting averages a lot of sub 35 averages.

That's because the Shield produced a bunch of green tops and so result wickets.

So unlike anything they'd produce for tests over there.

If you look at the Shield batting averages a lot of sub 35 averages.
So that totally negates what Key is on about them because the Aussies don't even play in the conditions they prepare for tests??!

Normally a big fan of Key but simply cannot agree with him on this, I know what he saying up to a point, spinners bowling more overs etc.

However if games keeping ending in high scoring draws without any hope of a result it can’t be good for the game it really can’t.

Who is going to turn up to watch 550 for 3 plays 520 for 4?
I honestly don't think anyone in the cricket hierarchy gives a shit who does and doesn't watch County Championship cricket.

In fact they may prefer if nobody watched it.....

So that totally negates what Key is on about them because the Aussies don't even play in the conditions they prepare for tests??!
It's the same arguement just other way around.

Both countries not preparing their normal pitches for their first class competition.

Aussie fans moaned about making it too bowler friendly and English fans moaning about us making it too batting friendly.

The majority of Aussies first XI don't play Shield cricket much. Just more they are unhappy on the impact of their next generation not playing on true Aussie wickets.

MCG for the Pakistan series I think ended up being unlike what we've seen in past series. No doubt be back to their normal wickets by 25/26.

Both countries not preparing their normal pitches for their first class competition.

Aussie fans moaned about making it too bowler friendly and English fans moaning about us making it too batting friendly.

The majority of Aussies first XI don't play Shield cricket much. Just more they are unhappy on the impact of their next generation not playing on true Aussie wickets.

MCG for the Pakistan series I think ended up being unlike what we've seen in past series. No doubt be back to their normal wickets by 25/26.
Yes, you're totally correct. But like I said, it makes a mockery of what Rob Key claims they are trying to do when the Aussies themselves don't prepare in the same conditions.

I honestly don't think anyone in the cricket hierarchy gives a shit who does and doesn't watch County Championship cricket.

In fact they may prefer if nobody watched it.....
Yeah I get the hierarchy want to prepare players to play for England but as others have said not sure this the right way to go about it.

Plus for the integrity of the competition it needs to be watchable and competitive, a couple of seasons ago imo too many flat wickets were produced and too many dull games.

Where last season much much better and more results and good for the game
Under Key England test side has been as watchable and entertaining as they have ever been, so don’t get the logic at all wanting the 4 day competition in this country not very watchable if too many draws

Last edited:
Key is a bellend and remarkable he's somehow in the position he is
I liked Key as a pundit, he was always promoting playing test cricket more positively than we were doing at that time.

I think his choice of coach and captain was great for our test side and cricket as a whole.

And since he took over in the main it’s been extremely refreshing watching England go about playing test cricket

But he way off the mark with this one imo and get the impression rightly soo that not many will support the increased use of this ball.

More than half the games in round two never reached a 4th innings, nevermind got anywhere near a result.

The ball was soft and lifeless after 30 minutes, and the country averaged 50odd per wicket. Pointless.

Atrocious cricket so far, the season starts properly this week.

I can't get my head round the ECB thinking that using a wet Kookaburra on a cold early April day will prepare English bowlers for Australia.
As the article says one of the key weapons to bowling in Australia is reverse swing, which you're never going to get early season in England.
The stat below pretty much backs up what everyone else is saying, the experiment has been a massive waste of time.
Be 3 this season if the ball and pitches are the same

The Gabba against South Africa last year was a greener wicket than I've ever seen an England team play on in England.

Was just on the CC page on FB and 90% of the comments were applauding the fat chancer. Like playing with a Kookaburra in damp English conditions will somehow teach our bowlers to win in Australia.

Was just on the CC page on FB and 90% of the comments were applauding the fat chancer. Like playing with a Kookaburra in damp English conditions will somehow teach our bowlers to win in Australia.

Really? Most of the groups I’ve seen are rightly calling him out for talking shit.

Back