Rob Key and the Kookaburra ball

I can't get my head round the ECB thinking that using a wet Kookaburra on a cold early April day will prepare English bowlers for Australia.
As the article says one of the key weapons to bowling in Australia is reverse swing, which you're never going to get early season in England.
The stat below pretty much backs up what everyone else is saying, the experiment has been a massive waste of time.

If anything it will only serve to help to destroy the County Championship.... oh, right...

More lunacy:

“Why do we think in India their batters come into the Test side averaging 70 [in the Ranji Trophy]? Do you think they’re playing with a little nibbly Dukes ball where it’s doing all sorts?“

No, but they don’t use a kookaburra either. What’s more, the Dukes ball only ‘nibbles’ when conditions suit it. If I’m not mistaken, they use a Dukes in the West Indies and I don’t recall us ever having massive success there from excessive swing/seam movement.
I can't get my head round the ECB thinking that using a wet Kookaburra on a cold early April day will prepare English bowlers for Australia.

It won’t, but its the kind of braindead thinking I’ve come to expect from FTECB.

Last edited:
Normally a big fan of Key but simply cannot agree with him on this, I know what he saying up to a point, spinners bowling more overs etc.

However if games keeping ending in high scoring draws without any hope of a result it can’t be good for the game it really can’t.

Who is going to turn up to watch 550 for 3 plays 520 for 4?

Last edited:
Normally a big fan of Key but simply cannot agree with him on this, I know what he saying up to a point, spinners bowling more overs etc.

However if games keeping ending in high scoring draws without any hope of a result it can’t be good for the game it really can’t
Aye this.

It’s nice to see little medium pacers bowling 75mph aren’t absolutely steamrolling through teams, but the balance has clearly been skewed too far the other way.

Aye this.

It’s nice to see little medium pacers bowling 75mph aren’t absolutely steamrolling through teams, but the balance has clearly been skewed too far the other way.
Of course could not agree more surely it doesn’t have to be 698 for 3 or 150 all out.

I know it’s easier to say then do buts loads of middle ground and balance between the two

Not sure I can get on board with this especially the last part of this quote.

You see what four-day cricket is meant to be. I’ve watched quite a bit this week and seen some bloody good cricket. I would use the Kookaburra all the time. English cricket would be much better off for it.”

Ridiculous for Key to make judgement calls from such a small sample and particularly when we've had freak weather conditions even for April.However it was surprising the number of wickets taking by part time spinners e.g.Steel,Lawrence,Yates,Thompson.Wonder our skipper didn't have a bowl?
Key is an arrogant tw@t who's just been deliberately provocative.

Last edited:

You see what four-day cricket is meant to be. I’ve watched quite a bit this week and seen some bloody good cricket. I would use the Kookaburra all the time. English cricket would be much better off for it.”

He’s deluded, where was there good cricket played in that last round of games? Surrey pushed hard for a win, but were thwarted by a battling Somerset side, every other game was pretty much destined for a draw at the halfway stage - that can’t possibly be called ‘good cricket’.
English seam bowlers bowling with a kookaburra in April at 10+mph slower generally than aussie bowlers is not preparing you for a boxing day match at the MCG

100%. Aussie pitches are renowned for being some of the fastest/bounciest decks in the world - you just won’t get that in April in the UK.

Another stat nicked from Twitter... Chris Tremain, top wicket taker in Sheffield Shield this season with 50 wickets @15.90, has figures of 1-176 from the first 2 games with Northants.

As others on here have said, it's no use experimenting with the Kookaburra unless you can replicate the overhead and pitch conditions of the MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval etc

Bloke in pigheadedly defending his own stupidity shocker.

Can't stand the twat, how does cricket constantly keep employing people to ruin the sport

Back