Riverside Redevelopment Plans

Dorlonco

Goalkeeper
2/12/00066/DCA | Discharge of conditions 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and19 of planning application 2/10/00074/VAR | Durham County Cricket Club Riverside Chester -le-Street Durham DH3 3QR

The above link gives access to the Proposed Plans for the ground. Their in PDF format but Ive been unable to copy and paste them here, so if anybody's interested then they will have to follow the link and open the documents individually.

From what I can make of it the following would be built, but there's loads of drawings so some might contradict each other and I haven't looked at them all. Basically there would be a 149 room hotel built on the east side of the ground with a new East Stand, similar design as the County Durham stand in front of it, that would extend around to roughly where Bannatynes is now. Behind the northern section of the new stand a new building called the Gateway would be constructed. Of course whether any of this actually happens is another matter. But it would seem to make economic sense to at least build the hotel as it would be another revenue stream. On the drawings its got Hampton by Hilton signage on it, so presumably the Club would initially pay for the construction of the hotel, then Lease it to a hotel operator.

A hotel at the ground is a must, if we can get that up and running I think financially it could go a long way to securing our future. Dare I suggest also that it would allow us to once again compete with the top end of the County game.

Last edited:
A hotel at the ground is a must, if we can get that up and running I think financially it could go a long way to securing our future. Dare I suggest also that it could allow us to once again compete with the top end of the County game.

Who is gonna stay there though and why?

I say that as someone from Chester-Le-Street

Is this not off a few year ago?
From 2012

but pretty surprised at that. I would have thought they'd want to preserve the view. Also surprised they're upgrading the stadium, I can't tell how many seats but it looks like more than now. Not sure that idea will survive a financial review.

Yorkshire supporters? Or any away supporters. Or if there's a music event I imagine some would like to have a drink and stay the night - and the club can include an overnight stop over option as part of the marketing effort.

The Earl of Scarborough might not be happy though.

Last edited:

Businessmen and women wanting access to Durham and Newcastle. Cricket supporters for fixtures (domestic and international). Football supporters visiting the regions teams, tourists, swingers, cheats, criminals.....

A hotel, if it is ran by one of the bigger chains is a lot more than simply a place to sleep aswell. Big business in terms of meeting/conference space.

Businessmen and women wanting access to Durham and Newcastle. Cricket supporters for fixtures (domestic and international). Football supporters visiting the regions teams, tourists, swingers, cheats, criminals.....

A hotel, if it is ran by one of the bigger chains is a lot more than simply a place to sleep aswell. Big business in terms of meeting/conference space.

Very true

There's already event rooms at the club. These mid-range chain hotels just attract ten Bob millionaires banging prossies.
You have a wonderful cricket venue... Leave it as it is....don't end up with a plastic ageus bowl like us...

End of thread.

There's already event rooms at the club. These mid-range chain hotels just attract ten Bob millionaires banging prossies.

There is, but on site accommodation is a step up. There's no doubt it will be potentially beneficial, depending on if it's managed properly etc etc etc.

Back