River Wear in Durham City today....

MONTYMCPHAIL

Striker
Anybody know why there was loads of emergency services there about 4ish? Passed over on the bridge and it looked quite serious, near the Raddison

We passed over similar time and I was wondering the same. Think there was at least 2 fire engines, 2 ambulances and 6 cop cars/ vans. Could see there was some kind of rescue team in an inflatable boat in the river. Can’t find anything on it in the news.

There'll be a log jam when the pubs open and all the students get a skinfull.

If there had been more than one, they could be dyed a certain colour and bets placed to see who got the furthest.

Favourite part of the story is this:

“ Onlookers described seeing a heavily inebriated man in Silver Street, carrying a bottle of white rum, head butting the window of the former Marks and Spencer store.”

Wonder if he’d just realised he had a load of vouchers.

“ Onlookers described seeing a heavily inebriated man in Silver Street, carrying a bottle of white rum, head butting the window of the former Marks and Spencer store.”

Pissed up and in need of some pick ‘n mix.

Sad that's closed now. I did work experience there back in the day. I've not been back in a few years can't imagine how different it all looks.

Sad that's closed now. I did work experience there back in the day. I've not been back in a few years can't imagine how different it all looks.

M&S turned into a M&Co which also closed down. I think it's Yorkshire Trading Company now. Loads of other shops have closed in Silver Street. It looks really sad with all the boarded up/covered windows now 😞

M&S turned into a M&Co which also closed down. I think it's Yorkshire Trading Company now. Loads of other shops have closed in Silver Street. It looks really sad with all the boarded up/covered windows now 😞

The top floor of M&Co is going to be converted into student accommodation, shame with the old Top Shop premises at the bottom of Silver Street.

I haven’t been into Durham for nearly 30 years now. Looking at the images on the link I didn’t recognise any of it. Sad really as I did a bit of my growing up in Carrville and went to Belmont Comp for my last two years of school and going into the city on a Saturday morning down to the ice rink then spending the rest of the day in the city was what we did.

I haven’t been into Durham for nearly 30 years now. Looking at the images on the link I didn’t recognise any of it. Sad really as I did a bit of my growing up in Carrville and went to Belmont Comp for my last two years of school and going into the city on a Saturday morning down to the ice rink then spending the rest of the day in the city was what we did.
Fairly long time 30 years....plenty still looks familiar imo, but not down by the river development. And a lack of the old shops etc.

Back