RIP Philip Roth

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thread mind. I thought Bucky's raging against Polio, God and the world in Nemesis would have had a few damp eyed at the memory at least. Ah vhey. I liked him.

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thread mind. I thought Bucky's raging against Polio, God and the world in Nemesis would have had a few damp eyed at the memory at least. Ah vhey. I liked him.

I thought reading a surreptitious copy of Portnoy's Complaint kept hidden under the mattress was a right of passage for all 13-year-old boys. Must have been just me, then.

RIP
I’ve started about half a dozen of his but only finished one: The Great American Novel. Which is apparently one of his minor works but I love it. Concerns a shite baseball team and other stuff...

Read American Pastoral for the first time last year. To be honest, I didn't love it but sometimes you don't have to love a book to recognize a f***ing great writer.

See Haruki Murakami and Donna Taart.

RIP

A good round-up here of some of his best books:

‘Savagely funny and bitingly honest’ – 12 writers on their favourite Philip Roth novels

Read American Pastoral for the first time last year. To be honest, I didn't love it but sometimes you don't have to love a book to recognize a f***ing great writer.

See Haruki Murakami and Donna Taart.

RIP

The books of his that are overtly funny are much easier to love. Portnoy's Complaint, for instance. Also, Sabbath's Theater, which I listened to on audiobook just last month - and was struggling to suppress my laughter in public.

That said, I think American Pastoral is my favourite. I love the structure - the story within a story - which is the template for all the Zuckerman books I've read.

haven't read all his works (thought the already mentioned 'Everyman' was good) and my favourite book of his was 'I Married A Communist'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back