RIP John Pilger

Sad news, a good bloke with some very very top class documentaries, insights and points of view
Ah no way.
He was lucky in a way to have lived when he did. There is less tolerance for the telling of home truths these days and far fewer opportunities to air them as Murdoch-style reporting has pretty much taken over the mainstream.
Have thought for a good few years now that we’ll be in a far sorrier state when the likes of Chomsky and Pilger die. Well, there’s one down.

Last edited:
Have thought for a good few years now that we’ll be in a far sorrier state when the likes of Chomsky and Pilger die. Well, there’s one down.

Nee worry. Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Edward Snowden et al will still be pushing the same anti-Western agenda.

All of them started out with their hearts in the right place. They've all becoming f***ing idiots.

Nee worry. Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Edward Snowden et al will still be pushing the same anti-Western agenda.

All of them started out with their hearts in the right place. They've all becoming f***ing idiots.

Don’t follow any of those and I’m not approaching this from the position of being “anti-West.” Healthy, functioning society requires people to be able to hold that society and government actions to account.

Read a lot of Chomsky and Pilger back in the day. And I’m not saying Chomsky hasn’t gone increasingly off the boil, particularly over the last decade. His analytical muscles have definitely deteriorated in recent years.

Stuff like Manufacturing Consent for the propaganda model remains must read, though.

Ah no way.

Don’t follow any of those and I’m not approaching this from the position of being “anti-West.” Healthy, functioning society requires people to be able to hold that society and government actions to account.

Read a lot of Chomsky and Pilger back in the day. And I’m not saying Chomsky hasn’t gone increasingly off the boil, particularly over the last decade. His analytical muscles have definitely deteriorated in recent years.

Stuff like Manufacturing Consent for the propaganda model remains must read, though.

Show me a single time when Pilger and Chomsky supported the west. Is the west really uniquely evil in that they’ve never done a good deed nor ever been on the right side of contemporary history? Or is it that these guys are working to bring down the life me and you live, so will therefore take any opportunity, good or bad, to undermine the western narrative?

They’re not discerning journalists, they just hate the west. That’s the only consistent philosophy running through their life’s work. So if you don’t hate the west, don’t support twats like these and hope we get more of them.

A good independent journalist should Sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. That’s not Chomsky or Pilger. They’re both Putinists, uniformly disagreeing with the United States, UK and allies, and agreeing with Putin, Assad and the disgusting regimes in China and Iran.

His trajectory is not uncommon: crusading journalist/campaigner starts out exposing injustice wherever he finds it, but eventually becomes blind to any narrative that doesn't fit his established worldview (and actively promotes any that do, regardless of the facts).

It affects high-profile individuals on both the left and right. They drift towards ever more extreme views as they age. I suspect it's because we read them wrong. They're not truth-seekers, they're contrarians.

He was lucky in a way to have lived when he did. There is less tolerance for the telling of home truths these days and far fewer opportunities to air them as Murdoch-style reporting has pretty much taken over the mainstream.
ORLY?

The media, especially social media and the so-called alternative media, is full of stories about how jolly rotten the west is, 99% of it bullshit.

RIP

A fine investigative journalist. I hope there are some young people out there to replace the likes of Pilger etc, as if not, the world in future will be a scarier place, without people like this exposing life's injustices.
Used to love reading him in the late 60s early seventies in the Mirror.

but of course I was a Commie back then.

The right to buy has a lot to answer for ;)

Last edited:
ORLY?

The media, especially social media and the so-called alternative media, is full of stories about how jolly rotten the west is, 99% of it bullshit.
I wasn't referring to social media and alternate media but since you come to mention it. The attacks on Simon Shuster by your fellow NAFO troops were a good example of the intolerance of uncomfortable truths I was referring to.

Here he is promoting Zelensky as Time magazine Person of the Year in 2022. But, because his authorised biography showed Zelensky isn't perfect and one of his articles highlighted dissatisfaction with policy, the info warriors tried to portray Shuster as pro-Russian. This kind of vilification is becoming rife among competing corporate journalists, not just morons on the internet.

Hardly a fitting eulogy for the towering figure of contemporary journalism that was John Pilger.

In a modern media world populated by press secretaries, corrupt media moguls and their sycophants, Pilger stood out as one who wasn't going to fall for it all.

Although you may have disagreed with him, and many did, he was a man of principle.

He spoke his mind

He spoke the truth

Back