RIP Duncan Fearnley

i hadnt realsied you could still get bats and gear from them, seemed to disappear completely in early 2000's, never saw anyone using them

i hadnt realsied you could still get bats and gear from them, seemed to disappear completely in early 2000's, never saw anyone using them
Think its a completely different brand now - I think Duncan sold it on possibly on retirement - i know the quality of the bats dropped off a cliff around that time.

My dad had a magnum in the late 80's. As a kid the bat looked massive. Never used one but by all accounts he was probably the biggest batmaker in the UK during those times - apparently he was knocking out a thousand bats a week! some going that.

A pioneer of the modern, bulky, lightly-pressed style of bat-making.

Always seemed to have great middles but, like modern bats, they didn't last anywhere near as long as the older types.
Think its a completely different brand now - I think Duncan sold it on possibly on retirement - i know the quality of the bats dropped off a cliff around that time.

My dad had a magnum in the late 80's. As a kid the bat looked massive. Never used one but by all accounts he was probably the biggest batmaker in the UK during those times - apparently he was knocking out a thousand bats a week! some going that.
I had a VR5 when I was a young 'un.

There's one on ebay and they want £2499.99 for it!

(That is not a typo!)

Last edited:

Always seemed to have great middles but, like modern bats, they didn't last anywhere near as long as the older types.

(That is not a typo!)
pricing of "retro" bats is insane - i'm on a facebook group and they share photos of old bats that are looking worse for wear and they want hundreds for them. One bloke on there has a collection of fearnley bats and I reckon he has over 100 bats.

Madness

(That is not a typo!)
ive an old Gray nics dynadrive with the double scoop in the shed

Back