Rigg

Dodds on Chris Rigg before Leeds Game

“I had a long meeting with Chris yesterday, he is a first-year scholar, he's 16, and we as a football club need to find a balance.

“He's a talented boy that's got a lot of potential providing he stays focused and concentrates. We have to make sure we get his program right in terms of what he needs.

“I can't remember the last time he played a full 90 minutes, which is a concern for me, for a young footballer. You can get blinded by him being involved with the first team whether that is being on the bench or coming on for the last 10-15 minutes.

“You kind of get lost and you think you're doing the right thing by them, but the reality is they are not getting what they need so the decision was to give him 90 minutes against a really good academy. We have an FA Youth Cup match on Thursday evening, which he will be involved in.

“He's training with us every day so he’s still getting the right information, but I think sometimes you forget what he needs right now and that is minutes to develop. He's very much in our plans and he's going to be a big player for this football club.”

Whys this lad not getting a sniff? Even from the bench. Has a bit of tenacity and the urgency compared to Ekwah would be most welcomed.
The strangest part is at his age the 1 thing he must do is play footy. Not in the 21s yesterday not in the 1st team today…. You’d think maybe injured but all over the socials last few days….

Seriously man he'd make no difference
Whether he would or wouldn’t is debatable. The issue is the players who are ahead of him, they certainly won’t improve things and certainly won’t improve, but Speakman doesn’t want to admit his signings have been mistakes

Back