Retirement

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

My pension pot from work currently stand at about 7k so it's not looking good. I want to overpay on the mortgage to get that paid of early and then save the mortgage payment on top of what I already save but I keep having bad luck with money. A huge vets bill it was this year.

I'm quite worried about it to be honest and I'm only 35.

Whatever makes you happy mate but this blows my mind. The list of things I'd rather do than be at work is pretty much endless.

This then relates directly to having a decent pension. There’s lots I’d like to do, but generally cost money. I’d struggle to retire and be couped up in the house because I couldn’t afford to do the things I wanted to.

I pay 5% of my wage into my work pension and my work pay 10% in top of that, I want to top that up with a private pension also and I’m thinking about buying a house for buy to let purposes too.

If all goes to plan, I want to retire at 62 absolute latest but we’ll see what happens I guess!

This then relates directly to having a decent pension. There’s lots I’d like to do, but generally cost money. I’d struggle to retire and be couped up in the house because I couldn’t afford to do the things I wanted to.
Not even talking about expensive things tho mate. I'm happy as fuck just walking the dog and that.

Last edited:
Take my pension at 55 and go travelling. Do myself in with a pile of coke off a strippers back when the money is low.

Doing it in stages. 61 now and doing 3 days. Think I will always do a couple of days, too easy to turn into just an observer.

Being paying into LGPS since I was 26, so done that for 22 years, IF I decide to keep going until state pension age, then I have another 18 years to go.

Also being putting a little aside each month in a ISA that hopefully will help with those rainy day moments.

My pension pot from work currently stand at about 7k so it's not looking good. I want to overpay on the mortgage to get that paid of early and then save the mortgage payment on top of what I already save but I keep having bad luck with money. A huge vets bill it was this year.

I'm quite worried about it to be honest and I'm only 35.

Mortgage interest rates are very low at the minute, you might get more value long-term by not overpaying and saving the money elsewhere. It's entirely down to personal circumstances like, and at least you've got it in your mind at all that you should be doing something. A lot of people won't at any age!

I'm 43 and been in pension schemes for 20 odd years, plan is to finish paying my mortgage in 2021 then build up my my buy to lets from 4 to 10 over the following 5-10 years. Then retire / run my property from 55 ish, probably spend the winters in some little apartment abroad writing books and travelling / tramping around the world. The passive income + pension should see me fine.....that's the plan anyway

I can’t wait to retire, I hate having to go to work every day. 38 this year, if I’m still working after I hit 50 I’ll be gutted. Getting divorced hasn’t helped my plan mind you, my pension took quite a hit.

Well considering I haven’t yet got on the property ladder, I’ll be paying the mortgage off until 65, assuming I can actually get one in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back