REN - this kid is incredible

I thought I’d give this another go, to keep an open mind. On no level do I like it. Biggest problem for me is the theatrical nature of it all. I don’t like that in a singer songwriter:

I thought I’d give this another go, to keep an open mind. On no level do I like it. Biggest problem for me is the theatrical nature of it all. I don’t like that in a singer songwriter:
He refers to his style as "bardcore".

The Tale of Jenny/Screech/Violet shows a lot of the theatrical, storytelling side of his live performances.
Mind I wouldn't pigeon-hole him. Does everything through rap, hiphop, all sorts of stuff.
The theatre probably comes from busking on the streets from a young age.
This is him with his mate Sam who he also saw busking in Brighton and gave a lend of his speaker and microphone to so he could drum up more of an audience.

I don't trust it, the production values are too high. There's one of them that's a duet in an old abandoned building and is shot in a single with the camera operator rotating around them.. Its really really good set up work by the lighting director to get the coverage, great planning by the camera operator and director to never hit the lights and keep the camera travel rate right to hit each subject as they start singing and of course fantastic to be able to perform it in a single long take, before you even start to look at the sound work. Just the whole super polished production robs it of some authenticity.

I don't trust it, the production values are too high. There's one of them that's a duet in an old abandoned building and is shot in a single with the camera operator rotating around them.. Its really really good set up work by the lighting director to get the coverage, great planning by the camera operator and director to never hit the lights and keep the camera travel rate right to hit each subject as they start singing and of course fantastic to be able to perform it in a single long take, before you even start to look at the sound work. Just the whole super polished production robs it of some authenticity.
This is behind the scenes of Sick Boi, shows how it's all put together.

He’s very very very good

Agree.
I was blown away with Hi Ren.

The performance is incredible. The conversation between the dark and the light and the way the way the dark voice becomes more aggressive in the face of the light voices quiet defiance.

I'm not a fan of stuff like that usually but it really is an amazing piece of work.

Agree.
I was blown away with Hi Ren.

The performance is incredible. The conversation between the dark and the light and the way the way the dark voice becomes more aggressive in the face of the light voices quiet defiance.

I'm not a fan of stuff like that usually but it really is an amazing piece of work.

I’ve been following him on TikTok for a while now his imagination is fantastic.

Back