Remote teaching and learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

i guess its a pack with each day's work in. for the bairn (and us when we can) to work through. but nothing about 'daily' or even 'a hour here and there' where the teachers interact with the bairn.

weve got all the remote ability under the sun, the mrs and i have been wfh since march. we have the tools (tablets, laptops etc) but nothing from school to say theyll be doing it

As far as I'm aware, they should be providing remote learning and the pack which you refer to should be an alternative for people who can't get the online stuff.
I'm letting you know what I'm up to and how I'm feeling about things. I feel that the vast majority of teachers need to stop moaning, grow up and crack on

I feel that you don't really have much of a clue.

But hey ho!

That's poor. We stopped using class dojo due to GDPR a couple of years ago.

You've linked two articles about Covid testing. Nothing to do with remote learning.

They should be providing daily lessons, not a pack that can be used over a period of time (unless you can't access remote learning, in which case there isn't much alternative).
As a teacher, what is the expectation laid down on the school? What are they actually supposed to provide?

Good luck mate. Up here (Scotland) our kids had already been given this week as an extra week (well few days as my son wasn't due back till today anyway). Not heard anything from the school yet but hopefully they'll be getting stuff set up. We are quite fortunate that every pupil in my sons school has been given an ipad (not sure if that's a council or national government initiative and was due to happen even before Covid appeared) and they've got access to various bits of software that they should get stuff through. See what next week brings!
I’m in Edinburgh. My 16 year old is doing highers this year and is really struggling, in more ways than one. Online teaching for them seems to involve sending homework sheets via teams or email. No actual teaching taking place, and I don’t have the ability to teach at that level. Awful.

Probably worth a thread of its own, considering the amount of parents and teachers we have on the board. I know it's being discussed in other threads, but that's alongside other aspects. It could be particularly useful for parents who aren't sure whether their school is providing the right sort of learning for their children. Teachers should hopefully be able to provide some experienced advice (from the inside looking out, so to speak).

Yesterday was manic for me. I was in school teaching all day as you would expect, but I had to get the lessons online for the vast majority of the children who weren't in. The good thing (for want of a better phrase) being that March to June last year had us much more prepared. I only had four pupils in my class, which was about what we expected. Our rota means I'm only in school Fridays, giving me most of the rest of the week to concentrate on my pupils at home. For comparison's sake, my partner in a different school is in on Wednesday afternoons, and all day Thursdays and Fridays. That seems a bit much to me, considering she will also be required to teach her whole class remotely on a daily basis.

I currently have about 24 people signed up on Seesaw, the others either haven't done it or aren't able to. This means work packs with hard copies of the online work will need to be prepared and sent home to certain families each week. I've got a couple more families on Seesaw who struggle due to having more than one child, but only one laptop to work from. This will be a problem for a lot of families. I've also had one parent asking if we'll be delivering 'live' lessons via zoom or google teams or whatever platforms are used. The answer as a school is no, at least for the moment. I think there's a possibility myself and the Year 5 teachers may provide this opportunity at some point, but it remains to be seen. A quick read of the forums suggests it's very mixed as to whether or not schools are providing this.

This morning I've marked all of yesterday's work, prepared and sent all of today's work, planned the work for the rest of the week so it is ready to be assigned on the given days, and marked the work the children have already completed for today. It's been fairly smooth going, however I've only had consistent replies from about ten of the children so far. Some of the others are in school as key workers, but not all. This afternoon I'll be creating the home learning packs so they are ready to be printed and distributed on Friday, and I'll be planning my lessons for the key worker children I'll be working with each Friday.

As an aside, it's just been announced that SATs are cancelled, which has a big effect on me and my class. I also see it has just been announced that children without laptops have been added to the 'vulnerable' list. The government need to be careful that we don't just end up with half the children back in school, completely negating the point of the lockdown.

This isn't meant to be a 'look at me I've got loads of work to do' post if that's how it sounds, I think it'll just be good to hear what people are up to and how they're feeling about things.

Absolutely mental. That's estimated to be more than 1 MILLION STUDENTS. It's going to get to a point at our place whereby we have 150+ kids in school. Williamson promised all kids that didn't have a laptop would get one last April. Why has this STILL not happened? If so many kids are in school, staff will need to be in school to teach them - the same staff who at the same time have to teach another 20-25 kids a lesson online and are supposed to be predominantly at home as there is a pandemic out of control. Obviously, this isn't an issue in the leafy environs of Surrey but it's going to be an issue up here.
It seems to be that a large proportion of the weight of the argument for several proponents of 'get schools open' is that they simply can't be arsed / have the ability to support their children at home. There's absolutely no consideration of the health of adults working in a school environments. 5 times this afternoon, Williamson has dodged the issue of teachers being pushed up the priority list for a vaccination.

As far as I'm aware, they should be providing remote learning and the pack which you refer to should be an alternative for people who can't get the online stuff.

I feel that you don't really have much of a clue.

But hey ho!
when i went to the school earlier to pick up the pack, there wasnt even anyone in reception, just a box with each stay at home kid's pack inside it. no teachers or even recptionists about. couldnt even ask what the craic was going to be

I'm letting you know what I'm up to and how I'm feeling about things. I feel that the vast majority of teachers need to stop moaning, grow up and crack on
Respectfully, if you don't work in the education sector and are coming out with statements such as this from the comfort of your own home then your opinion is worthless.

Respectfully, if you don't work in the education sector and are coming out with statements such as this from the comfort of your own home then your opinion is worthless.
How do you know he isn’t out there in the workplace grafting himself each day? “With respect”, some schools are fine but some have handled this appallingly bad, and deserve every bit of criticism they get.

when i went to the school earlier to pick up the pack, there wasnt even anyone in reception, just a box with each stay at home kid's pack inside it. no teachers or even recptionists about. couldnt even ask what the craic was going to be
That's the point mate. There's a pandemic on. Send any questions via email and your child's teacher will respond.

How do you know he isn’t out there in the workplace grafting himself each day? “With respect”, some schools are fine but some have handled this appallingly bad, and deserve every bit of criticism they get.
Apologies if I came across too strongly but there isn't another sector where adults are expected to work in close proximity to 30 young adults wearing no face coverings.
You are aware that schools were given exactly 12 hours notice which included 7-8 hours sleeping time to have something in place for Tuesday? Staff left primary schools on Monday evening expecting to see their kids the next day. Forgive their inability to have a perfectly functioning system in place first thing on Tuesday morning. Any examples of schools which have handled things appallingly bad? Obviously without naming schools.

Last edited:
I am extremely close to the education sector and I've seen a LOT of this at first hand. I can have an opinion on the public utterings of the various unions and representatives without having to be a teacher
You are aware that schools were given exactly 12 hours notice which included 7-8 hours sleeping time to have something in place for Tuesday? Staff left primary schools on Monday evening expecting to see their kids the next day. Forgive their inability to have a perfectly functioning system in place first thing on Tuesday morning.
So why not pull an all-nighter and get it done? I've done that countless times in countless roles in a variety of sectors. JFDI and Needs Must are not phrases that seem to exist in the psyche of a Teacher. This pandemic has us virtually on a war footing - everyone has to muck in and get things done

Last edited:
Speaking from the experience of homeschooling a reception age lad last lock down I'd just focus on the very basics of English and maths. I feel sorry for the teachers of this age group as its impossible to replicate on site learnings in any way. We pretty much new what standard our lad was at the time when it came to words and numbers so just drilled down on them. He was just doing his first CVC words and learning to recognize and order numbers to 20. I had about 50 post it notes with standard 3 letter words written on then, cat, hat, sit, cap, map, pup, cup etc etc. Then about 5 times a day I'd put 7 or so randons ones out and get him to read them to me. Would literally only take a minute or so each time to do. Use to work best just before chocolate, sweet time, yes total bribery but needs must :lol:

Same with numbers, maybe look to but flash cards or ask school if they had any. I use to start off helping him order 1-10 then eventually i would chuck the cards down randomly and tell him to crack on. Again i would do it half a dozen times a dsy. Sounds a lot but it only takes a minute or so to do.

Dont spread yourself to thin or try to sit down and do a long exercise as kids thst age lose concentration quickly and it turns into a battle. Try to get them colouring in or just tracing over lines if they csnt write words just to keep them use to holding a pen or pencil properly still

This obviously may not work with your child but just sharing my experiences ;). Also helped massively i wasnt working so could devote a lot of time to it and it helped put in the long days

Apologies if I came across too strongly but there isn't another sector where adults are expected to work in close proximity to 30 young adults wearing no face coverings.
You are aware that schools were given exactly 12 hours notice which included 7-8 hours sleeping time to have something in place for Tuesday? Staff left primary schools on Monday evening expecting to see their kids the next day. Forgive their inability to have a perfectly functioning system in place first thing on Tuesday morning. Any examples of schools which have handled things appallingly bad? Obviously without naming schools.

Thats not true at all. Shop workers come in close contact with more than 30 people in a shift. School teachers have the option to wear PPE if they choose.

My daughters school already had my daughters class WFH from last Wednesday due to staffing issues (presumably due to covid), so they’ve had a whole week to sort this out. And I get 3 revision guides, 7 sheets printed from Twinkle.com and a sheet of spellings copied from a textbook. Sorry but would you say that is good enough on a weeks notice? And the pack wasn’t distributed until 2pm today, despite being home schooling since Monday...

You are aware that schools were given exactly 12 hours notice which included 7-8 hours sleeping time to have something in place for Tuesday? Staff left primary schools on Monday evening expecting to see their kids the next day. Forgive their inability to have a perfectly functioning system in place first thing on Tuesday morning.
TBF the whole response seems to vary from school to school and teacher to teacher.
I’m in Devon and have heard various comments from parents during the “lockdowns” Both good and not so good.
I’m grateful I haven’t got any bairn’s at school and even more grateful that I’m not in teaching.
Best of luck mate

Teachers probably spend all day dealing with the parents, and as such struggle to get anything else done.

I am extremely close to the education sector and I've seen a LOT of this at first hand. I can have an opinion on the public utterings of the various unions and representatives without having to be a teacher

So why not pull an all-nighter and get it done? I've done that countless times in countless roles in a variety of sectors. JFDI and Needs Must are not phrases that seem to exist in the psyche of a Teacher. This pandemic has us virtually on a war footing - everyone has to muck in and get things done

Would you be happy for a teacher of any child of yours to be in loco parentis having not slept the night before? It isn't a job where you can 'pull an all nighter' and go to bed the next day. You're advocating people working 30+ hours looking after and teaching young kids. It's impossible.
Teachers probably spend all day dealing with the parents, and as such struggle to get anything else done.
There's a chap with a bit of common sense. Home schooling your own children whilst teaching the children of others is pretty difficult.

Last edited:

It’s a disgrace the way teachers on the whole have worked very unprofessionally. Contingency planning is key - I work in a nuclear facility and I have plans made last March to cover all types of lockdowns that I have thought could be possible, including not being able to staff the facility at all. Teachers had 6 months off last year, so I’d question why these packs aren’t all fully completed and ready to pick off a shelf at a moments notice tbh. Monday’s announcement hardly came out of the blue, it’s been on the cards for months. Should have at least had a 2 week emergency WFH pack available in the case of needing to isolate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back